Electrolysis Tank Upkeep

I do not think I am getting down to the parent metal. On the Morter after 20 hours at 4 amps the red rust is gone but the surface is rough and dark brown. I believe that color is the chemical change in the iron oxide.
What is the proper way to maintain the anodes? Do you skim the sludge off the top of the solution. I have removed the anodes to dry and will wire brush them.

I regularly remove my anodes and 1. scrape them with a putty knife to remove the big stuff. 2. let them dry 3. either sand them with the air sander or sand blast them depending on how much stuff is in the way of the equipment. They have to be cleaned regularly for optimum efficiency. Keep in mind that electrolysis works best as a line of sight cleaning method. You may have to rotate the piece you are cleaning every now and then.

Thanks Gregg. What do you do with the electrolyte solution? The floating rust has gone to the bottom wile the anodes were being cleaned. I put the morter back and the current went to 6 amps and is settling back to 5 amps. The solution still feels soapy.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

The current has cut back to 4 amps again. I am using 2 pieces of angle iron and 2 pieces of 1/2 inch rod as anodes. The activity around the angle irons is much greater. As my current is 4 amps no matter what I am de-rusting the surface area of the anodes must set the current limit.

Jay, surface area of the anodes, surface area of the piece being cleaned, closeness of the anode to the piece are all variables that affect the process. I use 12" X 12" plates of graphite as my anodes. I never have to take them out for cleaning. I put one on opposite sides of my tank, connected by a little "jumper" cable. I have them hanging from a rod that allows me to slide them close to both sides of the part being cleaned. I can usually clean 40-50 pieces before plates deteriorate to the point of needing replaced.

Jody, can you please post a link for the graphite plates you use? Everything I see online is either very small or very expensive. Thanks!

Jody, can you please post a link for the graphite plates you use? Everything I see online is either very small or very expensive. Thanks!

Alex, I am fortunate enough to be able to get my graphite plates from work. They are used in our EDM department, and when they are out of spec, they are discarded. I got permission from my supervisor to take what I need.

Thanks Gregg. What do you do with the electrolyte solution? The floating rust has gone to the bottom wile the anodes were being cleaned. I put the morter back and the current went to 6 amps and is settling back to 5 amps. The solution still feels soapy.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

The current has cut back to 4 amps again. I am using 2 pieces of angle iron and 2 pieces of 1/2 inch rod as anodes. The activity around the angle irons is much greater. As my current is 4 amps no matter what I am de-rusting the surface area of the anodes must set the current limit.

My tank sits un-covered on the garage floor. I top it off with fresh water if it evaporates. not worried about the dog or kids getting into it. Dog tried it once and the kids are old enough to know better. Lye tank is a different story. My current starts out strong, then nose dives as the anodes get dirty. I have found that after a soak in the lye tank, some of the heavier rust gets wiped off when when I am washing the lye off with soap and a green scrubbie pad. Takes a few hours in the e tank vs a couple days.

Thank you Greg good information. I have the lye crystals but have not started a lye tank.

1 Lb lye to 5 gallons of water. I used 8 gallons of solution in a 13 gallon trash can. It can hold about 5 pieces at a time I currently have a #8 Dutch oven, lid, #8 skillet, and lid in it.

Greg when do you replace your solution? I have done about 10 skillets. The solution is quite black. I have to do quite a bit of scrapping. It may be just the carbonized layer but I think my solution is slowing down.

Today I drained and cleaned my E tank and also my lye tank.
I have cleaned many pans.
The E tank had a lot of sludge in the bottom also suspended rust and sludge.

The lye tank also had a lot of suspended grease. .

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

I can see the activity of both tanks is back to normal.

Greg when do you replace your solution? I have done about 10 skillets. The solution is quite black. I have to do quite a bit of scrapping. It may be just the carbonized layer but I think my solution is slowing down.
I have never used the e tank till it stopped being effective. I usually get 6 to 10 pieces stacked up before i mix up the solution. I just discard it when I am done since it is cheap to make. As for the Lye, I just recently set it up because I was intimidated by it. By far the best thing I have ever done when it comes to cleaning iron. I have cleaned 13 pieces in it so far. now when I get something new, It gets a wire thru the handle and dropped in the bath till i am ready for it. You cannot over soak them in Lye.

Back