16 QT Dutch Oven - Can't find ANY info on any others

IgnacioL

Hi,

I just joined because I came across a very old 16qt dutch oven at an estate sale. I say 16 qt because that's how many quarts of water it took to fill it up. It needs cleanup badly so I am going to make an electrolysis bath for it. I also need to get the handle repaired.

I've cooked with it once.

I've googled just about everything I can think of and can't come up with ANYTHING on this beast. It's the largest I've ever seen of its kind. I've posted pics. That's a 12" skillet next to it for reference to it's ginormous size. It has some pitting inside.

Any help or information you can provide would be great.

Thanks,

Ignacio (Nacho) Lopez

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...XI/AAAAAAAAAD0/nfhgwEhsTD0/s1024/IMG_4115.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4109.jpg
    IMG_4109.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4110.jpg
    IMG_4110.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks John. So you say it has to be Wagner because... of the zigzag pattern rings inside? Or the rings on the outside? Thanks for the help.

Thanks! It was only $20 to boot. I did find this info that dates the piece from 1922-1935.

http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Does anyone have recommendations about whether to remake the handle out of cast iron or to drill into the lid for a screwed in handle?

The #9 Drip Drop oval roaster was listed as being 14-1/2 quart. The BB dates it ca. 1941 and values one in excellent condition at $250-300.

Does anyone have recommendations about whether to remake the handle out of cast iron or to drill into the lid for a screwed in handle?

If you're going to use there's no harm in just adding your own handle. It's already broken so why not. I'd try and get a metal one from the hardware store that looks like this.

]

And maybe grind the ends a bit to match the contour of the lid. Also, pick up some stainless steel screws & washers. (No Rust)

Too bad about the handle, but still a nice piece. Slim picking around my neck of the woods, and a cast roaster is on my want list.

Back