Plated Wagner Skillet

GeorgeL

I just bought my first piece of plated cast iron and it brings up several questions. The plated piece is an old, outer heat ring style, #7 "WAGNER". I also have what appears to be an identical, but non-plated, #7 Wagner Ware for comparison.

1. What is the difference between "WAGNER" and Wagner Ware? Are they two different entities or different iterations of the same company?

In comparing the two skillets I find that the plated skillet weighs just over 3 pounds and the non-plated skillet weighs just under 4 pounds. It's enough of a weight difference to be noticeable on a skillet of this size. Also, I find the plated skillet to be much more smoothly finished both outside and on the cooking surface.

2. Are these differences due to one being plated and the other not?

or

3. Are these differences due to one being a "WAGNER" skillet and the other a Wagner Ware skillet?

The plating is in generally good condition but some small areas appear to be thin or completely scoured away. The plating does not (currently) extend into the cooking surface and may not ever have.

4. Is there a preferred metal polish/cleaner to use on the outside plated surface?

Thanks
George

1. At some point the Wagner Manufacturing Co. began branding their products Wagner Ware.

2,3. The weight difference can be attributed to a difference in the thicknesses of the patterns. Plated pieces, if they were to be highly (mirror) polished, had to first be ground/polished smooth. But that would probably not account for a significant weight difference.

4. You can clean the build-up off plated pieces with a lye bath without harm. Once clean, they are about as shiny as they are going to get. You can use 0000 steel wool for a final once-over. Apply a coat of seasoning oil to the plated surface to prevent the worn spots from rusting.

Back