New guy here... need some help please

Gatemark would imply late 19th century. Looks like imported, though, the 20 likely being centimeters. Is it 7-7/8" long?

Maybe it's a 28, which would be 11". The numbering convention typically doesn't include handles.

I don't see Descoware quality. More like a copy. Descoware was real good at identifying their patterns and putting their name in the glaze.

Hilditch

My name is Michael and I have become addicted to hunting down these heavy treasures for sometime now...

Thanks to both members that have given me info and insight thus far.

I am happy to be apart of this community and look forward to learning more and showing you all my great finds as they are found.

Michael, On your size 20 piece if you turn it upside down and measure the width of the smoke ring you should find it to be 20 cm or almost 8”. That would be the maximum wood stove eye opening size this would cover without the stove lid in place.

Being more concerned with an eye measurement than the top opening makes me think it is older than the 50’s Descoware which uses opening sizes. I bet that piece will clean up nice.

Hilditch

Michael, On your size 20 piece if you turn it upside down and measure the width of the smoke ring you should find it to be 20 cm or almost 8”. That would be the maximum wood stove eye opening size this would cover without the stove lid in place.

Being more concerned with an eye measurement than the top opening makes me think it is older than the 50’s Descoware which uses opening sizes. I bet that piece will clean up nice.
French and other European enameled cast iron size-designated in centimeters apparently have nothing to do with wood stove eye sizes. Please show us a wood stove with oval stove eyes to support this assertion.

Au contraire mon ami. For any shaped item if the width covers a round opening the length will have it covered also according to the rules of length and width.

Hilditch

Nice finds Michael, the second dish pictured is Descoware in "Antique gold" I have the large oval roaster in that color and it is one of my favorites. Good job finding it with the original lid. :icon_thumbsup:

It's important to note that D.E. Sanford Co. held the rights to Bruxelles Ware in the US of a product it branded Descoware. The original Belgian manufacturer was free to sell its product anywhere Sanford did not hold distribution rights, like Canada, perhaps. That product would, of course, not be marked Descoware. If this particular piece was sold as Descoware, it could have been with a paper label.

It would make sense, assuming the marking on the other piece is a 2-digit number and denotes centimeters, that it would reflect the long dimension, not the width.

It has already been indicated the piece measures roughly 10" x 13". Whether 13" includes handles is not yet clear.

You were indeed right ! just over 8 inches

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Just found this beauty! not sure what this brand is?

No correlation to 20cm (7-7/8") there (or 28cm, either). What about length of bottom and/or top (without handles)? Are we even sure it's a 20 or a 28 or 2 G or?

The FE on the new piece is typical of Descoware (as are the other marks). Initials of the Belgian manufacturer, Fonderie Emaillerie.

Ah so. Inside the smoke ring to inside the smoke ring is 20 cm. Enough to cover a 20 cm eye opening keeping in mind the rest of the world didn’t use US measurements for eye and vessel specs like #3, 5, 7, 8, or 10. That is why it is marked 20. Thanks Michael.

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

And I thought FE was for iron.

Hilditch

Michael,
Here is a link regarding markings on the DESCO Ware pieces that may or may not be of interest to you.
It starts off a bit misleading regarding the lettering of "FE" but keep reading and it will get corrected to the proper designation of "Founderie Emaillerie of St Trond" as which Doug D has already stated. If you click on the sub-titles off to the right it will give various info regarding labels, etc.
http://descoware.com/markings-stamps-labels/size-markings-enamelware

Back