Electrolysis

CPorter

I finally got around to setting up an electrolysis tank. I have an automatic battery charger so I used an old battery with it to make it work. The tank itself is a storage tub with a piece of angle iron on each side of the work piece and connected together. I tested it with a very rusty and pitted unmarked piece, if you recognize the maker let me know please. I was very happy with the result. The bottom has an 8Z in the six oclock position.

Attachments

• DSCN1870.jpg
    DSCN1870.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1879.jpg
    DSCN1879.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Looks nice, electrolysis is an awsome way to clean stuff. I usually do a lye bath first.
Does it say anything on the bottom? 5qt?

It has some similarities to my old griswold Dutch oven, like the groove on the ears but mine doesn't have the tab on the side. Could it be an unmarked Wagner?

Hello. I would like to know how you set up your tank with an old battery. Getting mine set up this week and I have plenty of old batteries but was not looking forward to buying a manual charger! Thanks

Hook the charger up to a battery as if you were charging it. Then you will need some kind of jumper cables from the battery to the cast iron piece and the metal anode. The battery will be supplying the current to the electro setup, discharging all the while. The charger will see the discharging battery and keep charging it.

I would like to mention that after a few days, I had a stack of skillets to clean, the battery had run down so I had to give it a day to recharge. I have seen on other forums where their setup stops working, I believe that unless you have a really good charger it won't keep up over longs periods of time.

Back