Rough 3 notch Lodge skillets

GeorgeL

Awhile back I bought a couple very cruddy skillets at the Good Will store. They were very cheap and I bought them mainly to see if I was up to the challenge of cleaning them. They looked like maybe they had been used to catch grease under something rather than used to cook in.

I put them in a lye bath for awhile and finally finished them in an electrolysis tank. When I was finished I had a #3 and a #5 three notch Lodge skillets.

In the relatively short time that I've been learning about cast iron I have seen it mentioned many times that the old Lodge skillets were smooth, unlike the modern Lodge pre-seasoned skillets. The two that I have are very rough on the cooking surface. Both pans are uniformly rough so it does not appear that the surface has ever been any other way. The surfaces appear too uniform to be due to abuse. The cooking surfaces of both pans are as rough, maybe even rougher than the outside surfaces.

Did Lodge make skillets with rough (unfinished) interiors at the time that the three notch skillets were produced?

Thanks
George

Thanks for the info.

Was the choice of finishes common practice among manufacturers or just something offered by Lodge?

George

Was the choice of finishes common practice among manufacturers or just something offered by Lodge?

I've never seen anyone else offering unfinished iron. There were, a lot of times, the choice between plated, and non-plated. Large (Huge) cauldrons, I don't think were ever "finished".

I think finishing was just thought of as part of the process back then. To offer un-finished iron wouldn't be the norm.

The Birmingham stove and range catalog for the century line shows plain and aa (polished) finish. I have seen the 1891 series Wagner in 2 different grades. Not sure about any of the other mfgs.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Just looked in my blue book. Griswold also offered plain iron and extra finish (polished).

Back