What Has My Wife Done???

Came home the other evening, and my flat skillet that I use for quesadillas, and occasionally a few pancakes, the Mrs has used. She said the skillet was still hot and when she hit it under the water, this is what happened.

8F614983-CB41-4F21-8D65-AFEF77F8A866.jpg

I have been trying to rebuild the seasoning, but it’s like it’s not taking.

Suggestions??

Can you find another wife lol

Seriously though, the seasoning has probably just flaked off due to the sudden change in temp. Be glad it didn't crack.

Did she use hot water or cool water?

Hahaha
She know how I am about my cast iron. She felt bad about it. She thinks she ruined it.
She said she turned on the water without even thinking and it was cold water. As soon as she heard it sizzle she moved it.

Yeah the seasoning might have built back up in that spot. It would take a while and might be a little uneven.

I suggested that because I have a griddle similar to yours my wife uses it to make omelettes, pancakes, and quesadillas for the kids. This thing gets used pretty regularly and seldom leaves the stove. One thing she always did that I couldn't get her to quit is to wipe the excess cooking spray off of it when she is done. I came home from work a lot to find it sitting there on the stove with dried hardened cooking oil on it. It dries to a sticky pebbly texture that is near impossible to wipe off. It just smears and water wont touch it. It really screwed the smooth seasoning up. So I flipped out once about it and stripped it, re-seasoned it, and threw away all of the cooking spray. Really made a scene about it. Every time she would use it she complained that stuff stuck to it now. I had to explain to her howthe seasoning got ruined by lack of propper care. and I had to re-season it. Now about 2 years down the road it has a beautiful smooth seasoning layer and she wipes it off every time. I realize my reaction was a little dramatic, but it taught her a lesson she didn't forget.

Over on another forum there is a single cast iron thread. Guys talk about keeping their pans in the garage (His territory) to keep their wives away from them.

Back