Rare Griswold #5 Skillet

Steve J.

ok, a question about rarity of an item I see on e-bay (I wish I could paste the link but e-bay is blocked in the office!):

Title is "Very rare Griswold #5 cast iron skillet large logo block letters heat ring 724a"

Description says large logo BL heat ring #724A. good condition.

I am new to this and trying to get a handle (no pun intended) on market values, which I thought I was until I saw this. This bidding on this pan is up $321. Can someone enlighten me as to why? What is so rare about this pan?

Thanks
Steve

The most common skillet sizes are 3,6,8, and 10. There are fewer 2,4,5,7,9,11,13 around because there were not as many sold originally. Then you have to narrow further by how long a particular design was produced. Griswold went from slant Erie HR to slant EPU HR to LBL EPU HR to LBL EPU smooth bottom in about a 35 year span (with some overlap), but the LBL EPU HR like this one was only produced maybe a handful years in that period. Whether it is truly worth over $300 I guess depends on how bad you want one and how high you're willing to go.

Very rare Griswold #5 cast iron skillet large logo block letters heat ring 724a

Interesting, thanks. There is also a #9 with what appears to me to be all the same traits (LBL, EPU, HR) bidding at $31. I recently bought the same #9 as this (not in as great condition) which is what got me so curious. What were the handful of years?

Hard to say, since they didn't apparently just stop making one design and start making another. There are also stories of how, if faced with a very large order and deadline, they would sometimes haul out older patterns just to be able to make and pour enough molds. LBL EPU HR I would guess early 1930s. Steve Stephens will correct me if that's off or he has a narrower timeframe.

I see the BB says 1920s, which I did originally post and then edited it. Should have stuck with my first instinct. I also see the BB values it at $325-425.

Back