“I Think I Created a Monster”

Brian R

Those were my mother in law’s words after I started cleaning and seasoning two skillets she got me for Christmas. It’s been a blast cleaning them, starting the seasoning process, and then cooking breakfast on them this morning!

Based on the reading on this site, I think the bigger one is a BS&R Red Mountain, and I am still looking up the smaller one. It has an inset fire ring with a single notch at the 12 o’clock. But there is not size numbe on it, anywhere. There is a raised letter C on the underside, and a little dot, for lack of a better word, on the underside, near the center. Looking forward to doing a lot more of this!

Here are the before and after pics -

If it were Lodge, the expectation would be a raised size number atop the handle if not on the bottom. The heat ring seems a little too inset for Lodge, maybe not. More likely an unknown foundry, perhaps using a Lodge pan as basis for a pattern.

I think that looks like a normal lodge single notch... other than I would expect either the raised size on top of the handle or the size at 12 o clock on the bottom... that seems curious. but lord knows there was a lot of variation in lodge in this no-notch to single notch time period.

Back