Gate Marked Cast Iron Pans

Dan B

I have recently been elevated from being a "Junior Member" to a regular "Member" in this community :D. However, as we rarely see gate marked pans in Canada, I am still a newbie on the subject.

I have come across a one for sale. Other that an "8" on the top of the handle there are no markings on it. I do understand it is very unlikely to be able to identify a manufacturer... but, what I hoping to understand from this group is what to look for in considering to buy it (other than warping and cracks)?

That is.. is a gate marked pan simply a gate marked pan, they are all the same? Or are there differences that I should be looking for that make it better and/or more valuable?

Thanks

Some of us, myself included love the older gate marked no name pans. Some have fancy handles or only a single pour spout. The pour spouts may be pointed while more modern pans have rounded spouts. These tend to be older and more desirable. Also some are footed rather than just the heat rings.

If I find a gate marked pan, not warped sitting flat, and no cracks it is going home with me so long as the price is right

Most who like the old bottom gated skillets do so for the fancy handles. I suppose if there are any valued more highly than others, it would be the ones with handle styles more ornate or less often seen.

I found a number 8 gate marked with a fancy handle at a junk store, under a pile of other cookware and not with any of the cast iron they were selling. It was cheap enough so I bought it and now it's my absolute favorite skillet. It just feels a lot lighter than my Wagners and BSRs. Plus after it was all cleaned up, it just cooks wonderfully! I am now constantly looking for more!

Thanks all, your replies are most helpful. That said, oh no; fancy handles, pointed spouts, great light weight users... sounds like slippery slope to me.

Cheers,

Back