I.D. Requested for this odd #8

BenjaminO

Found this medium to heavy weight #8 at the flea market. I was hoping there would be something cool hiding under the crust. It has a deeply inset heat ring and the sides curve up rather abruptly from the bottom. "2" is the only mark on it, besides the large size number "8" on the handle. Anyone have an idea of its provenance?
DSCF7916 copy by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF7959 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF7960 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF7961 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF7962 by Refinders, on Flickr

After looking more closely at this pan I realized that it's very unusual for another reason; it was bottom gated! I just noticed the subtle remains of a sprue mark on the bottom in the center and inspecting the top rim there are no grinding marks, the rim is as-cast. There is also a strange area in the hanging hole of the handle that looks like part of the pattern was filled in with wax or something.
Does anyone have any thoughts on why this pan was made this way? Were commercial foundries making pans of this style using that casting method, or is it an example of a small scale "copy" of a better pan?
Thanks for looking!

Take a look @ " another mystery pan" thread. Got a couple things in common. Can't get a good look @ your pan on my phone

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Just double checked my pan. Looks like it might have had a heatring @ one time. Think they are related. If so that's 2 different sizes of what or who ever.

Looks like the original had a heat ring, then the folks making the recast removed the ring from their pattern. It's interesting on these two you can almost feel the texture of the wax or whatever it was that they were making patterns with, sort of soft and spread like paste. Does anyone know if iron recasts were ever made with the "lost-wax" casting process?

Back