Chili Cooking Day

W. Hilditch

As many of us have discovered, chili tastes best the second day and when it is cooked in cast iron. So get your well seasoned cauldron, Dutch oven or kettle out today and get started. Today is chili cooking day. Then tomorrow it will be perfect for the super bowl. (Please remove it from the CI for storage.)

Hilditch

As many of us have discovered, chili tastes best the second day and when it is cooked in cast iron. So get your well seasoned cauldron, Dutch oven or kettle out today and get started. Today is chili cooking day. Then tomorrow it will be perfect for the super bowl. (Please remove it from the CI for storage.)

That sounds like a winner. We were just trying to decide whether to fix hot wings or chili, but now that you have declared it "Chili Cooking Day", chili it shall be ! :icon_thumbsup:

Chili Hints

Making chili in a well seasoned cast iron vessel seems to be better than a SS pot or even enamel coated cast iron. I believe it is due to the savory flavoring already imbedded in the seasoning. If you or others add onions to the top of your chili when served that means the cook didn’t put enough onion in your chili. If one adds cheese that means it is not rich enough. Seasoned cast iron helps and the rest is up to you. BTW, next day adds to the richness.

Hilditch

I don't add onions, and I don't add cheese. My chili is just right, but I am looking forward to experiencing the CI difference. Stand by !

Re: Chili Hints

If your chili is too salty that means the cook added too much salt. If your chili needs salt that means the cook didn't add enough. If your chili is not spicy enough that means the cook didn't add enough cayenne, chili powder, or peppers. If your chili is too spicy it means the cook added too much cayenne, chili powder, or peppers. If your chili is too watery that means the cook added too much liquid. If your chili is too thick it means the cook didn't add enough liquid. If your chili tastes like crap that means the cook previously cooked cow patties in the vessel and all that savory flavoring imbedded in the seasoning is imparted to the chili.

Making chili in a well seasoned cast iron vessel seems to be better than a SS pot or even enamel coated cast iron. I believe it is due to the savory flavoring already imbedded in the seasoning. If you or others add onions to the top of your chili when served that means the cook didn’t put enough onion in your chili. If one adds cheese that means it is not rich enough. Seasoned cast iron helps and the rest is up to you. BTW, next day adds to the richness.

Hilditch

This is probably the most ridiculous statement you have ever made to ever grace this forum.

Last edited:
Well, you beat me Kevin. I just keep going over your head.

Hilditch

The problem isn't that you keep going over my head. The problem is that there are folks here who are inexperienced cooks in general, and cooking in cast iron in particular, that are willing to accept and believe the fallacies that you espouse here as the gospel according to HD.

:icon_scratchchin: I must have missed something.. Who is HD ?

Oh well, my chili didn't get into the pot yesterday (to allow the proper waiting period), but it is happening today. I bet we will still be able to eat it, even without the waiting :glutton:

Thank you, Kevin.

For those of you not here very long, this has been an ongoing problem I have been remiss in addressing fully. To those of you who have been here a long time or left the forum as a result, I apologize. To those of you who are relatively new and think this is coming out of left field, I assure you it isn't. I have quietly taken measures in the past, but the message has not been received, and apparently only served to reinforce the unwanted behavior. To those of you who find the behavior charming or think maybe I'm throwing the baby out with the bath water, sorry, but you are in for disappointment.

What threads such as this one typically devolve into is unnecessary debate, circular logic, snarky comments, bad feelings, and, most likely, a new thread started presenting the refuted misinformation couched as a helpful and informative essay. Or worse, they cause an exodus of valued contributors to the forum. It's all a distraction and counterproductive to the mission of this website and forum.

Neither the forum members nor I need anyone here constantly pushing their own contrarian agenda. The information presented on the website and disseminated via the forum discussion needs to be as consistent as possible, and consistent with that generally held as reliable and accepted by the vintage cast iron cookware collecting community. We're here to help the new collector and user of cast iron, not to confuse them with off-the-wall opinions, old wives' tales, romantic notions, and half truths stated as unequivocal facts every time the opportunity presents itself. You're free to believe what you want, but proselytizing it here is just not welcome.

As of today, this distracting sideshow is over.

I, for one, was getting tired of the underlying tension in many of the threads here. It seemed as if someone was constantly trying to "prove" his "superior" knowledge and experience over the rest of us, including the site administrator.

I thank you Doug and I'm sure others will/have also. This site has been a blessing for me in more ways than I can say and now we can move forward as intended.

I really hope some of the members who left on account of this return. I really miss some of those folks. They contributed a lot of knowledge about CI to the forum and it was a shame to lose their input, but I certainly understand why they left.
Thank you Kevin and Doug.

Also...I think a little cheese and some freshly chopped green onions is a nice garnish for a bowl of chili.

Although I dont think I was ever a very large part of this forum I do plan on coming around more often now.....Thank you Doug

Thank you Doug.

I know that I have in the past been unfortunate enough to succumb to the back and forth arguments about what is and isn't correct.

For that I apologize.

There is no wrong way to cook/serve/garnish anything if you enjoy the company of the people sharing the food, and the people eating it enjoy the experience of eating the food.

So long as the food is cooked in CAST IRON. :D

Back