Cooking with Vintage Waffle Iron - Process?

StanG

I've got lots of CI, but only recently added a waffle iron (high base, square Griswold). I've used it a couple times, and I seem to be getting inconsistent cooking on the two sides. Can someone describe how they use the iron? In particular, as I finish one waffle, do i need to wait to start the next, letting the waffle iron heat back up? If I'm waiting, do I flip?

Basically, how long do you have it in each orientation, and when do you add batter, and when do you flip (after adding batter, or in a while?

Yes, I'm confused.

Assuming you have given your waffle iron paddles a basic initial seasoning.

1. Lightly brush paddles with oil, or spray with PAM (turn off flame briefly while you do this).

2. Pre-heat the paddles for about 10 minutes over medium heat, rotating them every minute or so that they both heat evenly. Shoot for 400-425°F, an infrared thermometer is handy for this.

3. Pour in batter leaving about 1/2" - 3/4" headroom around the perimeter.

4. Close irons and cook for 1 minute. Flip and cook for two more minutes. These times are general; the first waffle in the batch will tell you if you need more or less time on each side.

5. Prick the waffle out onto a plate with a fork and keep in a warm oven (170°F) while you make more.

6. Brush out any leftover crumbs or stuck on bits from the previous waffle and give the irons a few more minutes to reheat before returning to step 3.

Back