Saving history one piece at a time. Wood Bishop & Co.

Okay, I finally went to my neighbor's and took some pictures of his 11 W&B skillet. I think it's an early one, as: it has a single spout and a very plain one compared to most we see, it has no heat ring and the gate mark has been ground down so far as to to make it a hollow, so the pan sits flat without the ring.
The picture of a No 8 I mistakenly posted is unique in that, as JeffR noted, the wording is below the handle instead of at 6:00 and the size is on the cooking surface instead of the usual place, in the hollow of where the handle joins the pan.

On the W&B French Roll pan note, I have several and they're looking for good homes.

Nice Mike. Is that #11 looking for a new home, one has to ask or one never knows. :big grin:

On the W&B French Roll pan note, Mike are yours the same as CharlieK both is size and lettering.

CharlieK, would you be kind enough to put up a photo of the back on both of your pans. Then Mike can let us know it he has the same variations. I want to see if at some point they did away with a gate mark and did edge gating??

Here are the photos of the one that I sent to a new home. I do not know about the hole between the letters.

mb%25252Cco%25252Cmuffin_8691.jpeg

mb%25252Cco%25252Cmuffin_8692.jpeg

CharlieK, would you be kind enough to put up a photo of the back on both of your pans. Then Mike can let us know it he has the same variations. I want to see if at some point they did away with a gate mark and did edge gating??

Here's the bottom of my bigger W&B roll pan. It's currently in the e tank, can take pix of it down to bare iron if you want. BTW, the smaller pan is brown from the peanut oil I seasoned it with. I've never made anything in it, hoping it will get darker with use.

And on and on…as the saga continues.

Looking at the 4 smaller and 2 larger pans I have, they are all bottom gated. The smaller ones appear to have the marks on the second cup in in opposite diagonal corners (2 marks) and the larger have marks on the second cup in on both rows, both sides (4 marks). They all having hanging holes on both ends, but none have a hole in the center between the lettering, as did yours Jeff. I'd assume someone may have drilled it out for some reason.

About the only difference I see in my limited study is the position of the ampersand relative to the WB and CO. The small pans have it centered, but the larger (of mine) have the "&" next to the CO. I don't know that there may be a W&B Co variation, as we see in their skillets.

I've been passing on these pans as I come across them and French Roll pans in general, as I have 16 of them. A couple of AC Barstow ones from Providence RI and several Griswold variations, mostly the "NES" ones, are all in the pile.

Jeff, I will look more carefully at WBs for variations from now on. I'll PM you with any hot news flashes.

This photo is the same pan as above, note the 4 gate marks as you stated on your larger pans. I will have look an see what size this pan is.
mb%25252Cco%25252Cmuffin_8693.jpeg

As for the hole in the center, I agree with you?? Some kind of wall art.

Now looking at CharlieKs black pan I think I am seeing 2 gate marks, so I am thinking that is the smaller of the 2, on the second cup in opposite diagonal corners as you stated.

I saw a Barstow Stove Providence RI, muffin pan the same style These, but larger.

I sent you an Email.

Jeff

Wood Bishop & Co. Bangor ME 1851 In 1867 they bought the foundry belonging to Eastes & Whittier. I am not sure if Eastes & Whittier were makers of skillets and kettles as Wood Bishop & Co became known for, but there stoves and tinware were there best sellers. My question is this first skillet has two gate marks as you see. I am lead to believe that Wood Bishop & Co used someones skillet as a pattern for this skillet mold, was it Eastes & Whittier?
Clearly marked Wood Bishop & Co. Bangor M.E. The top gate mark is the one that was made in the pouring of this skillet as it is sharp. The second gate mark has been smoothed over from the patterned skillet. The skillet is a #8 single pour spout. Very nice feel to it.

The second skillet is marked Wood Bishop & Co. Bangor M.E., with the #12 upside down, also with the date 1889, with only a single gate mark. I am lead to believe that this might be there second skillet style, but not 100% sure. Also this skillet has 2 pour spouts, and is a #7. Very nice feel to it. Something has to be said for the early skillets.
I've got to ask...did you win this #7 on Ebay? One sold there a short while back and looks absolutely identical to your 7- even down to the angle of the gate mark...position of the upside down "12", etc. If so, can't blame you a bit- I don't seem to hear of many 7's. Good find wherever it came from! :icon_thumbsup:

I've got to ask...did you win this #7 on Ebay? One sold there a short while back and looks absolutely identical to your 7- even down to the angle of the gate mark...position of the upside down "12", etc. If so, can't blame you a bit- I don't seem to hear of many 7's. Good find wherever it came from! :icon_thumbsup:

It got dumped on me. :icon_rofl:

The #7 is one of the rare ones. I look at it every day.

New addition to the collection. 7 1/4" X 12 5/16"

wood%252Cbishop%252Cmuffin_2274.jpg

wood%252Cbishop%252Cmuffin_2278.jpg

Very nice...even though they aren't exactly a rare piece, I think those WB French Roll Pans look sharp all cleaned up. I did one that came out really nice a few weeks back and am tempted to do another in the future.

Very nice...even though they aren't exactly a rare piece, I think those WB French Roll Pans look sharp all cleaned up. I did one that came out really nice a few weeks back and am tempted to do another in the future.

You need to look for all the Wood Bishop muffin pans for variations. No, they are not that rare, but they are not making them anymore. I have a #8 WB skillet coming soon.

I have a #8 WB skillet coming soon.

NO MORE EBAY FOR YOU!!! :chuckle: I had to wonder how many times that piece would get dropped in price before somebody jumped on it...auctions are a funny thing. Yes, WB items are always special...MikeZ and I both hang our hats less than an hour from where the foundry existed.

NO MORE EBAY FOR YOU!!! :chuckle: I had to wonder how many times that piece would get dropped in price before somebody jumped on it...auctions are a funny thing. Yes, WB items are always special...MikeZ and I both hang our hats less than an hour from where the foundry existed.

WRONG, That was not me on eBay this time.:eek:

The best offer he would give me was $225 with shipping. I laughed at it. When I pass on something, I do not look back. Sometimes it is not the money.

WRONG, That was not me on eBay this time.:eek:

The best offer he would give me was $225 with shipping. I laughed at it. When I pass on something, I do not look back. Sometimes it is not the money.

I hear ya. Congrats on another WB piece :icon_thumbsup:

Never to many, Wood Bishops, #8 skillet. The sad part, it has a crack on the edge.
Something has to be said about just how thin this skillet is. You can also see the gate mark line on the cooking surface. This is the same handle style as my #7 WB.

wood%252Cbishop%252C8_2445.jpg

wood%252Cbishop%252C8_2443.jpg

wood%252Cbishop%252C8_2444.jpg

I hit everyone's area. Hope to pick up a nice gated baking pan in sunny California. I need to visit an acquaintance that has some early iron waiting for me up in VT.

Back