dutch oven 838

RobM

Picked up a dutch oven today, there's an 838 under the lid and it's a number 9. Internet search leads me to an Erie or pre Erie piece? Griswold pieces are rare to find around here, had no issue paying $30 for this one.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? The lid seems to be perfect, the pot itself is going to have a bit of pitting.

Attachments

• lidtop.jpg
    lidtop.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 52
  • pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 54
  • lidbottom.jpg
    lidbottom.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 61
It's in the lye overnight, pretty heavily crudded. I'll give it a scrub in the morning, see what the pot itself looks like.

The number 838 is the pat number for an "ERIE" #9 Dutch Oven cover, Early Flat Type. On the bottom of the Dutch Over should be the #834

Here are two photos of #8 Dutch Over that passed through my hands.

Image Image

Gave it the first scrub this morning and it looks like someone left it on a coil burner. The base is somewhat rusted and I can see the rings in the seasoning. It's thick with crust, going to take a while to clean. Hope it comes out nice.

Gave it a good scrub this evening, and it's a bit disappointing. The lid is in perfect shape, the pot itself, not so much. There's pitting in the bottom and the inside bottom.

I'm amazed at how light it is, think i'll get it cleaned up and gift it to the girlfriends mother. She's always eyeballing my cast, and she already snagged my wagner nationals.

Noticed a No.10 version of this on ebay today. 835, with 839 lid. with lots of good photos (Scroll down)

Pitting inside a dutch oven isn't that big a deal if you're going to use it. You're not flippin' eggs in it.. Whatever you're going to cook in it is going to be juicy and soupy.

Well, out of the lye bath and into electro for a half hour and it's clean as a whistle. The lid is in wonderful shape, the pot has quite a bit of pitting. I know as a user it's not a big deal. Part of the "ERIE" is eaten away on the bottom and the 9 is clear. Inside of the pot is well pitted too. It's disappointing but what do you do, it's still old.

And it's cracked from the lip by one handle to half way down the pot. GF wanted another fruit bowl, she gets her wish.

And it's cracked from the lip by one handle to half way down the pot. GF wanted another fruit bowl, she gets her wish.

Awwwww S____, Sorry to hear that. It happens, but when it does it's always a huge disappointment. Consolation: Your next find will be rarer, cheaper, and no cracks! :)

Awwwww S____, Sorry to hear that. It happens, but when it does it's always a huge disappointment. Consolation: Your next find will be rarer, cheaper, and no cracks! :)

Well, gf wants to go hunting today, hopefully something will pop up. She's very good at getting deals, me not so much.

Back