Cook Top Cleaning

KevinE

I really enjoy cooking on my gas cook top, but I hate cleaning it. Trying to clean off that cooked on crud around the burners without scratching up the SS has always been a PITA. A while back, I decided to try using some of the Blue Cap Easy Off. (The Blue Cap stuff has no fumes, but is lemon scented. My thought behind trying it came from reading about some folks using the Yellow Cap Easy Off for cleaning the cooked on crud from cast iron.) It makes it much easier to clean without scratching it all to pieces. My process is pretty simple. I remove the grates and burner covers and clean the surface with 409 or Windex to get the normal junk off. Spray the Blue Cap Easy Off around the burners and let it sit. The longer it sits, the better. Think hours here, not minutes. This time I let it sit for an hour, scrubbed with an old rag from the rag drawer, and repeated that another time. This seems to work pretty well for dissolving all the cooked on crud. Some time in the future I may do this just before going to bed and let it sit all night. I haven't tried this with a glass cook top, but I would assume it would work just as well. The only thing I would caution about is using this around anything aluminum because it will corrode it badly. If you've found something that works for you, I'd sure like to hear about it. So far, this is the best I've come up with.

IMG_1901_zpsifeywyzk.jpg

IMG_1918_zpsekaioqq2.jpg

Thank you for that cleaning tip. My gas top is very difficult to get clean.....it never seems clean. I will give that product a try. How do you like your Bosch?
I have their dishwasher and it is wonderful to say the least

Somewhat related, here's something to be careful of from my personal experience. Our gas stove started clicking all the time like it was trying to light, even when no gas was flowing. We had a repair guy come out and his first question was "Do you guys clean this stove?" I was kind dumbfounded, of course we clean it. When he continued, his point turned out to be that most often, the issues we were having were caused by spraying cleaners on the stove itself, and then some of that liquid cleaner drips down around the controls, and eventually causes a short in the sparking module.

He said the way to prevent these problems is pretty simple, and that is to spray your cloth with cleaner instead of spraying directly on the cooktop.

Your controls being elevated like they are will probably not be effected by your oven cleaner method as long as you're only cleaning down in the well. But this is just generally speaking on of those things that most people probably do "incorrectly" while cleaning.

Mark--love the cook top. Had the 30" model before this one and liked it, too. When we redid the whole kitchen, I went with the 36". Have one of their dishwashers, also. Very pleased with it. Does a great job and is very quiet. The wife and I joke about having to holler to hear each other when it's running.

Doug--mine will click sometimes after cleaning, but only if the gas is turned on to one of the burners. I've found that by turning all the burners on and letting them dry very well, it stops. I should point out that I don't spray the whole cook top or the controls. I just spray the Easy Off around the burners where the cooked on crud is.

I use the heavy duty EasyOff on the stainless cooktop, ceramic coated grates and oven window. Only takes minutes, or less.

Hilditch

Back