New E-tank ups and downs

DougH

So, I've been working here and there for awhile on upgrading my e-tank. I got a bigger container, built a small exhaust fan, and moved the whole thing into my basement. I'm pretty happy to have it set up and running now, and I don't have to worry about weather impacting anything I'm cleaning. I put a chicken fryer through last night to this morning, and everything worked great. That's the up side.

Then the down side happened. I put in a second piece this morning. I got it all set up and going, then I realized I didn't take a before picture. I don't always take pics, but this skillet is really grungy and rusty...so it will make a great before/after. So, I unhook the charger, lift the piece out, get my phone out of my pocket to take the pic...and proceed to drop my phone into the tank :shootself:

So, now my phone is hanging out in a bowl of rice for the day, and I'm crossing my fingers that it dries out. And I didn't even get my picture...

DougH
I shouldn't have laughed, but I did. I have never dropped mine in an e-tank - fishpond, yes, swimming pool, yes, wore it wade fishing, yes. I finally bought a waterproof case.

Good luck with the rice trick.

Jack

DougH
I shouldn't have laughed, but I did. I have never dropped mine in an e-tank - fishpond, yes, swimming pool, yes, wore it wade fishing, yes. I finally bought a waterproof case.

Good luck with the rice trick.

Jack

Oh, don't worry...I'm laughing about it too. Nothing else to be done at this point. I was mad for about 5 minutes, then I got over it...this will be a good story, whether the phone survives or not.

It could be worse, many phones meet their demise in a water closet. In fact, I know someone who did just that . . . :covri:

Doug, I can totally relate.
I've rolled out of a canoe with one (rice dried it).
I've ran over 3 phones with my tractor.
Thrown 2 out my truck window.
Lost at least 3 and broke countless screens along the way.
I started using Trac Phones cause their cheap.
I bought 8 of them last month (on sale) for a dollar each.

My wife just shakes her head
Tony:biggrin:

It could be worse, many phones meet their demise in a water closet. In fact, I know someone who did just that . . . :covri:

Was that the out house type, we know how you woodsy folks are? Did you have to reach in. :covri:

DougH, can you fill in the blanks on your fan set up? Sorry about your loss, maybe it is time to get a newer one as they have better cameras.

Good news! It's alive! I'm going to keep an eye on it for a few days, but so far, so good.

Jeffrey, I wanted an exhaust fan over this, but a low end bath fan that at least wouldn't sound like a helicopter taking off was $75-100...and I thought I could do better. I already have an old dryer vent where I wanted to put my tank, which was convenient. So, I got a 4" duct booster fan, similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroplanet-t...&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=duct+booster+fan&psc=1

Mine didn't have a plug on it, so I put a box on the side of it and wired a plug onto it. Then I got a piece of semi flexible dryer duct so I could adjust where the fan was pointing. I mounted the fan to the dryer duct so it blows outside, and then put the flex duct on the inside of that. Lastly, I wired an outlet controlled by a light switch, and plugged my battery charger and the exhaust fan into that. So I can turn the tank and fan on and off with a switch. The fan is nice and quiet, and I did the whole thing for around $30-35.

I think the only thing I need to do is get a cap for the vent for times it's not running. The old dryer vent doesn't seal very well on the outside, so there's a strong draft when the fan isn't running. I can take some pics this evening when I get home if you want to see the set up.

DougH, Thank you. I just wanted to see if you had it vented outside and if could steal any ideas from your idea. The only thing that I would need to do different from yours is make a cover / hood over my eTank. I have lye in my eTank and would want to get all the fumes out of the garage.

At this point I have not needed to bring it inside the garage. I have a storage room on the side of the house for my whole house generator, second freezer, just cold storage stuff. It is surviving the winter as long as I feed it some iron. It does make a little mess on the cement floor that will get washed out in the spring. The room is vented.

Back