Foriegn cast iron pan? Has me stumped!

Bob Gilbert

I am a casual collector of cast ironware. I focus mainly on pots and pans. I recently found this pan at a garage sale and for the life of me can not find any information anywhere on what it was used for and what it is called. I figure if you some of you out there don't know about it, I might as well throw in the towel! Any ideas? Thanks!

Here are the pictures of this unusual piece!

Attachments

• Cast Iron 1.jpg
    Cast Iron 1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Cast Iron 2.jpg
    Cast Iron 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Cast Iron 3.jpg
    Cast Iron 3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 43
It has the makers name. It's written in Japanese Hirigana. It says michinoku which is a province in northern Japan or it can also be a surname. Looks fun.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:28 PM ----------

I looked it up for you. It was made by みちのく鉄器(Michinoku Iron). It's a Mongolian design called a ジンギスカン鍋 (Genghis Khan pot).

http://toushin-h.co.jp/tetsu3.html

Rob & J, I don't know how to thank you for helping me with this! How on earth did you guys know about it and even send links referencing it so quickly? You guys are magic! I really appreciate your help with this. Hopefully we can talk again soon. Thank you, thank you, Thank you!

I took Japanese in college. I just googled the name on the pan. I'm glad to have helped. Now you need to make some Korean bbq and Jingisukan with it. The pan is also used to make some Thai and Chinese dishes.

Back