Calling all Canadians

RobM

And Americans with Canadian cast iron... If you have any old Canadian cast items, I would appreciate detailed pictures and such for the markings. Trying to document and date, so far been successful but only scratching the surface.

If this isn't ok Doug, please remove.

It's amazing how one picture can fill in so many blanks. I'm making a list of McClary X markings, your X618 filled in 2 blanks for lids.

I'm yet to lay eyes on a drip top spider lid, you're right, there's lots of spiders around. If my homework is correct, that should go with the number 9 X617.

Glad to help. Found it's way to the foothills of the Smokies where I spotted it. I knew it was not common. At least to me. Only found one picture of one on a skillet that Steve Stephens posted. It was not his though, and I no idea who's it was? Very nice iron.

Glad to help. Found it's way to the foothills of the Smokies where I spotted it. I knew it was not common. At least to me. Only found one picture of one on a skillet that Steve Stephens posted. It was not his though, and I no idea who's it was? Very nice iron.

Drip top dutch oven lids don't fit the skillets. Tried my number 8 lid on the X615 no 8 spider, the lid is too big.

This one does not fit any of my #9 skillets. Too small. Too big for #8's, too. Its sized somewhere in between.

Whoa…

I figured there had to be a cover for the McClary skillet No. X617 I have or why would it be called a "Drip Top".

There's a Canadian CI group on Facebook that RickC mentioned a few months back. I inquired there about a cover but got no response. This is a small group just starting out, with no databases and I've referenced this site to them a few times for technical info.

I've been meaning to write again, offering to trade a McClary No. 9 trivet, #X591 towards a cover.

Whoa…

I figured there had to be a cover for the McClary skillet No. X617 I have or why would it be called a "Drip Top".

There's a Canadian CI group on Facebook that RickC mentioned a few months back. I inquired there about a cover but got no response. This is a small group just starting out, with no databases and I've referenced this site to them a few times for technical info.

I've been meaning to write again, offering to trade a McClary No. 9 trivet, #X591 towards a cover.

Well, if you have a specific drip top spider, the next X number up is the lid for it. That one pic taught me alot tonite :D

Any more surprises? Please?!?

On the Mcclary skillets you will see variations in the handles. One will have a shorter spine on the handle back, and the other longer, much like a vollrath, with the spine going to the eye. Which variation is older and would be correct timeline match for my lid?

Can you post the diameter of the outer ring for me please? I'll see if I can find anything out... AFAIK, handles aside, the X617 should be what you're looking for, skillets should be the same sizes. I know McClary retooled some of their stuff.

Evidence shows that McClary started to brand themselves "McClary's" in the 1920's, before the GSW merger.

Rob,

A little late in coming, but here's a picture of my McClary trivet No. 9, X591. I'm assuming you already have a pix (or the actual piece) of the Drip Top Spider that has been discussed. I tried to submit a picture of mine, which I had originally submitted on 04/01/2015, but the system wouldn't let me (or my wife, as the case is).

The wire lifters on the trivet are interesting.

Attachments

• McClary Trivet.jpg
    McClary Trivet.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 36
Never had a pic of the X591 trivet, the list of McClary X marks is slowly evolving. It's interesting, stove dampers are X marked as well.

I wonder if the wires are original to the trivet or added by someone after the fact, never seen that before.

Bringing this back to the top - anyone else have some Canadian cast kicking around?

Rob,

A little late in coming, but here's a picture of my McClary trivet No. 9, X591. I'm assuming you already have a pix (or the actual piece) of the Drip Top Spider that has been discussed. I tried to submit a picture of mine, which I had originally submitted on 04/01/2015, but the system wouldn't let me (or my wife, as the case is).

The wire lifters on the trivet are interesting.

I managed to find a Number 9 Drip Top Dutch oven, came with the original X591 trivet. Then came across the X591 trivet like yours with handles. The handled trivet doesn't slide all the way into the dutch due to the handles sticking out but it'll be handy for roasts or chicken.

Hi, Rob. I've got a few comparison photos (about 12 or so) of a McClary No.9, X617 as well as the newer GSW No. 9. if you're interested. Please PM me with the format and resolution that you would prefer should you want the photos.

I'm not a collector but have started a small collection of Canadian Cast Iron for regular use. I prefer the older items as the cast iron usually has a finer grain when compared to the newer items.

I have a No 9 Flat bottom Kettle X589 and No9 drip top lid X590
McClary’s
Been ages since I’ve been on this forum. Just doing research right now.

Back