Original Legs

R_Moore

I'm glad there is a New Collector's Corner because this may be a dumb question, but one I need answered. Are the legs to this pot original or a later addition? They almost look to be welded on.

Also, I don't see any markings on this pot. Is it possible the marking could have been lost through rust and pitting? Do you think this is an old piece or one poorly taken care of? Any guess of date and manufacturer?

Thanks!

Welding cast iron isn't easy, nor subtle in appearance when it is seen done. Extra iron where the bases of the legs meet the pot serves as reinforcement of a potential stress point. It looks normal for a piece of it apparent age, likely early to mid-19th century. It's spent some time in a wet environment, or perhaps even buried, to account for the pitting. The bottom doesn't look eroded enough to have obscured any markings, often seen raised rather than inscribed on older pieces.

Now knowing the pot has a sprue mark, I’ve seen several sources that date spruce marks mid to late 1700’s. It looked like gate marks were more popular in the 1800’s. Could this pot be dated back to the 1700’s? Or are there other indicators that say otherwise?

Last edited:
As I understand it, the D-shaped legs and the shape of the handle attachments are indicative of a particular era, but I personally haven't gone down the rabbit hole on CI earlier than about mid-19th century.

Ha, I completely understand the rabbit holes. I really do appreciate the help you and Sean have provided!

Back