Hello its Sarah from Chicago!

SarahC

Turning into a CIP junkie after refurbishing one. Don't much about them but I am ready to start a collection! What are the best ones to get?

Welcome to the forum Sarah. To answer your question, that would depend a lot of whether you're collecting to use or just to collect. One recommendation I would have is to get the Blue & Red books. They will help in identifying and giving an approximate value. If you're looking for users, the older Lodge (single & 3 notch) and BSR's are nice pans for the money. I'd stay away from any imports or ones specifically marked "Made in USA" as they are newer unless you just looking for a "practice pan". Doug's (this) site has a ton of great info and Doug is extremely knowledgeable. One of the best things I've done is to build a lye bath tank and electrolysis tank. Cuts the restore time tremendously. Good places to find are flea markets, thrift stores and I've had some good finds on Craigslist. Sometimes you can come across a decent deal at antique stores but I've "generally" found them to be priced too high. Some folks think if it says Griswold or Wagner Ware on it they think they have gold instead of iron.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Hello Steve! Thank you for the information. I think I want to do both. I just restored a Griswald and Doug gave me a lot of wonderful information on it. It's a size 10 I believe we'll that's what's on the handle and I just love cooking with it. I really would love to get a 6,8 and 12. At least for cooking.
Collecting is also an interest so I guess we will see where the new hobby takes me. I love it and enjoy seeing these old pieces come back to life. I really need to learn the do's and don'ts because there are quite a few scammers out there. It was very refreshing to find this forum I really enjoy it.
Thank you again and I look forward to all my conversations with you wonderful people. :D

A size 10 Griswold is a very nice find. Finding a size 6 and 8 shouldn't be too difficult as they are very common sizes. A size 12 may be a little more of a challenge. Remember, the pan size doesn't mean the actual measurements and a size 12 with one manufacturer may be different from another. I have a size 10 Wagner Ware that easily fits inside a size 10 BSR Century series which is 12-7/16". You are spot on with there being a lot of scammers out there. Best advice would be "Buyer Beware". If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. I'm like you with enjoying seeing these wonderful, old cast iron pieces come back to life. I thoroughly enjoy taking a nasty looking pan and making it look and cook like new.

Steve

Back