Help dating/identifying this pot

JennyJacox

Hi there,

Completely foreign to the world of cast iron collecting - so cool - and I need help figuring out a timeframe (or any info) for a cast iron pot I discovered forgotten under a shelf in a local historical shop.

The bottom has a faint "6" (or "9"?) stamped on the bottom, and there is a small raised "H" (slightly askew) on the underside of the lip. I've read a bit about these markings, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me determine a rough timeframe when a piece like this might have been made.

There are no other distinguishing markings. The piece is VERY heavy, and it looks like it was cared for (so far as I can tell).

Any help?

Thanks,
Jenny

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 30
It's a Lodge dutch oven, ca. 1930s-40s. The best match for a lid will have a raised size number on top, or maybe LODGE incised in an arc as well. Most later (and easier to find) Lodge lids should fit, however, and you can spot those using this photo as a guide:

lodge_lid.jpg

See also: http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php for help IDing unmarked 20th century pieces.

Thanks! That's amazing.

May I ask how you can tell? This is a gift, so I'd like to give them as much info as I can, along with the pot.

Thanks again!

The raised maker's mark letter under the assist tab (and the shape of the tab), the design of the bail handle attachments, and the handle itself are consistent with Lodge of that period.

Not rare, but less common than Lodge 1950s - present. If it had the matching lid, had no damage (crack, chips warp, pitting), and was in restored condition, it would be a ~ $45-50 piece.

Back