Any idea what the intended use of this pan?

RandyR

I have one. An old E-bay auction calls it a eggs skillet. I've tried eggs, it's a pain in the rear trying to flip 'em, unless baking them was the intended way.

Right now I use it with pancake batter with sausage or bacon bits in the batter and bake for the kids.

I figure it's a Wagner because of the handle, I've not found anything on it on the web yet.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 70
  • $_517.JPG
    $_517.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 55
  • $1_57.JPG
    $1_57.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 57
Red book, page 24. Wagner square-sectioned skillet, sometimes called a Benedict pan. Middle well for basting. Unmarked, no c/n.

Red book, page 24. Wagner square-sectioned skillet, sometimes called a Benedict pan. Middle well for basting. Unmarked, no c/n.

I guess it's time to buy one of those books!

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Actually, now that you I.D. it, it needs a lid. Water in the center cavity to poach the eggs.

It all makes sense now.:icon_thumbsup:

It's better to get the blue book first, if only buying one at a time. As to the pan, I don't think a cover exists.

More: Sold (with glass cover) during GHC ownership as Early American "Gourmet Egg Cooker".

Instructions for use:

1. Preheat uncovered "Gourmet Egg Cooker" over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
2. Add ½-1 teaspoon butter, margarine or bacon grease to each egg cup. Pour 2 teaspoons of water into center water cup.
3. Add eggs. Cover and cook over very low heat for 5-8 minutes or until egg white is firm.
4. Remove eggs with spatula, season and enjoy!
5. Serve on toast or bread with a delicious sauce for that extra gourmet touch.

Fantastic! Thanks Doug!

Now I have to find a cover to fit.

Did you find the info in either blue/red book you've mentioned?

I have to get one or both of them. Just need a weekend when I have money to burn and find nothing at the flea markets.:cry:

The 2 Smith & Wafford books, aka the "blue" and "red" books are considered must-haves. See the Shopping link above for those and others.

Back