Diamond Logo Cast Iron

Hello Everybody!
I hope all is well,

I recently found my first "Diamond Logo" piece of Cast Iron, I would estimate it to be a size #3, but no markings (except for what looks like a ghost #5/8 inside the diamond) and what I thought was a foundrymans mark "4" (or, maybe it is size 4?). I have an image of the piece on the left, beside a Wagner Ware 1053 for comparison.

https://plus.google.com/112296790657594337527/posts/H9yyhD8pvEs

I know that these logos are discussed fairly often, is there a general consensus of the maker?

Thanks!
-J

It might be just me, but I see a 3 inside the diamond in the second picture, but a 5 in the close-up. In the comparison shot, it's definitely a #3.

I don't know why but I have a particular fondness for the number in diamond skillets. Maybe it's because my #10 was one of my first or maybe because it is such a great user. Nothing sticks to it.
I picked up this incredibly rusted #8 with a bunch of other stuff. (upper right in first image) It took forever to get the rust off. I don't have an electrolysis tank yet (Wisconsin in Winter) and although lye took off the crud, vinegar did nothing for the rust. I resorted to Evaporust and it took several soaks and a wire brush and two chore boys to get it clean. As you can see, it's pitted both outside and on cooking surface, but I have to say after seasoning and a couple of pans of bacon, stuff just doesn't stick to it. I've never seen one of these without a heat ring, and it looks like someone ground off the heat ring on this #8. But it sits flat and I still use it and don't worry if something happens to it.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/tonyratnose/IMG_2918_zpslhhcubfc.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/tonyratnose/IMG_3019_zpsmxibinqu.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/tonyratnose/IMG_3024_zpsou1ylsyy.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/tonyratnose/IMG_3022_zps9fjqmagt.jpg

"Number in Diamond"
Size number inside diamond-shaped outline at 6 o'clock
May be late Favorite or Chicago Hardware Foundry

every squirrel catches a nut now and then sorry for the poor pics

Attachments

• DSC05526.jpg
    DSC05526.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC05527.jpg
    DSC05527.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 50
Really starting to wonder if some of these mystery diamond skillets were made north of the 49th. Some Canadian manufacturers used letter in diamond and number. Still trying to make some sense of it all.

6698db17e10c95d5894d1b90327bbce8.jpg
c003b9e0f484c0c6f85c8ec8a87bcab5.jpg
137fbc55ff12d852eaf22961e148c4f8.jpg
I'm awfully compelled to believe these Diamond pieces were Favorite-Piqua produced items. When one compares the design of the Diamond dutch oven pot to the marked Favorite-Piqua versions, the bail handle attachment methods are identical with that turned in "lid keeper" design.

As equally compelling to me is when a Favorite-Piqua skillet cover is compared to one of the very hard to find Diamond skillet covers - pretty much the same in all aspects. Attached is a pic of a skillet cover I own.

The consensus among collectors has for years been that these are either CHF or late Favorites.

The consensus among collectors has for years been that these are either CHF or late Favorites.

At this point Doug, I'm going to start challenging the consensus - consensus is not proof. Up til lately, little has been known about Canadian iron - and the consensus is that Canadian manufacturers copied the US patterns.

More and more, i'm seeing Canadian iron popping up in the USA. More oddball pieces that haven't been seen here.

I've always felt that the number in diamonds had the feel and look of Favorites. My #10 in diamond has the same walls, same lip around the rim and the feel of my other favorites. It wasn't until I got the #8x that I saw no lip around the rim and a different feel. But the heat ring was ground off that one and it was in such terrible shape so who knows what changes it went through. And I have no CHFs to use for reference (never even seen one, but I'm an fairly new collector compared to you all). I am in Wisconsin (up north) so who knows if the number in diamonds came from Canada. So far, in the words of Geoffrey Rush, "It's a mystery."

I love these Pieces.. I like referring to them as follows:
I have a Diamond 14 skillet a Diamond 8, Diamond 6, Diamond 5 .. and a Diamond 8 Lid..way easier to say than a "8 in a diamond stamped skillet" it just rolls off the tongue easier:p ..try it I'm sure you will like it better>

Can anyone point me to a "marked" CHF or Favorite piece that has a diamond with a letter or number?

Rob, maybe that's why they say they assume it's those foundries, no proof. Might be that the Favorite "Miami" is where that comes from??? One of those unknown until proven cases.

Rob, maybe that's why they say they assume it's those foundries, no proof. Might be that the Favorite "Miami" is where that comes from??? One of those unknown until proven cases.

Miami is a sideways diamond to boot.

T. Eaton used both "diamond T" and "Diamond E". Belanger used a "Diamond B", Smart used the "Diamond G" of course. GSW trademarked "diamond C". "Burrow, Stuart and Milne" used a Diamond with a number although I haven't seen a marked hollow ware piece from BS&M yet. Attached are BS&M irons - 7 and 8. Yes they are raised, but Canadian companies were known for using both raised and inscribed. There are other Canadian manufacturers that used a diamond, but i'll have to look them up.

Attachments

• 11752569_10204671845971755_2376838192058428201_n.jpg
    11752569_10204671845971755_2376838192058428201_n.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 12243529_10153611375440289_6073714937846372970_n.jpg
    12243529_10153611375440289_6073714937846372970_n.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 15
Well you've convinced me about the Canadian use of the diamond pattern overwhelmingly over US foundries. After all the research, maybe you could write an article and call it "The Cast Iron Diamond". I think it would be a great addition to the site. :D

Well you've convinced me about the Canadian use of the diamond pattern overwhelmingly over US foundries. After all the research, maybe you could write an article and call it "The Cast Iron Diamond". I think it would be a great addition to the site. :D

I just find it interesting really. There's no guarantee that these skillets were made north of the border but it's possible.

BS&M were known for the Jewel line of stoves, had the trademark before Detroit stove works. Then there's Chown and Cunningham VS Favorite stove and range. Really makes one wonder if and how they were tied together in some way. Hopefully proof will come out at some point.

And there are some previously unseen pieces popping up in the USA that were made in Canada. There was a Gurney straight pot that I haven't seen before that showed up in Missouri of all places.

My no. 5 skillet is a "number-in-diamond" which has a mark that's identical to the example in the Cast Iron Collecting section of this site. I have seen lots of Favorite and Chicago Hardware pieces here in Northwest Indiana, so my skillet could be either one. It is a piece of quality CI, and I really like it. Will we ever know the origin of these pans, or is it lost in the mists of time?

Back