1800s Cast Iron Can Opener

JBaur

I picked this up a few weeks ago. The handle reminds me of some of my pans. Not sure what year it's from. 1860s? The blade is steel.

20150505_171129.jpg

20150505_171119.jpg

Thanks, Kevin. I didn't even think of looking it up on Wikipedia. Does sound like one from around the 1860s. Now I want that figural bull's head opener.

That's pretty darn cool. Collecting cast iron cookware seems to lead to other side collections. My second addiction lately has been quality stainless steel utensils. Serving spoons, spatulas, ladles, etc... If I could find these in cast iron, wow....

Here is the first one patented in 1858. Very similar to yours

http://connecticuthistory.org/the-first-us-can-opener-today-in-history/

Thanks for the link. I looked up a bunch of 1860s patents and found out that I have another one that's similar to the patents. I didn't think it was that old. I thought 1880s. It's not cast iron. it's a combination fruit jar wrench and can opener.

oVvhHw7eDhq9EB_QPgOjamaz2cBESI1mv-eGZgsjgMQ=w908-h511

20150507_143312.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

That's pretty darn cool. Collecting cast iron cookware seems to lead to other side collections. My second addiction lately has been quality stainless steel utensils. Serving spoons, spatulas, ladles, etc... If I could find these in cast iron, wow....

It's fun to collect other kitchen tools. Some are quite valuable. I had a bunch of weird cast iron stuff like an A. H. Patch Family Pop Corn Sheller. I had no clue it was worth so much. I just had it as a kitchen decoration. Everytime I see something strange, I buy it. Most of it's not worth a lot, but it's still neat to look at. Truthfully, I can't imagine using these to open cans.

It's fun to collect other kitchen tools.

I'm partial to old Ecko/Flint/Arrowhead pieces. It's almost become more fun than hunting cast iron. More prevalent, MUCH cheaper, easier to clean, etc... :)

It will remain a side hobby.. But fun finding something semi-valuable for 99cents and seeing the same piece for sale on ebay for $15..
Giving these pieces to friends/family is much easier than handing them a $100 piece you bought for $20 and spend 2 days cleaning and seasoning.

Although.... People are less receptive to metal utensils now. (Teflon)! :-|

I have a bunch of Flint knives and utensils too. They made a nice embossed arrow head knife block. I also have been collecting Revere Ware Limited Edition pots and pans. They're nice everyday cookware and look good too.

If I see that in an antique mall somewhere, wouldn't have a clue that it was a can opener. Should keep my eyes open.

Nice piece.

Back