Crisco vs Flax seed oil?

I've only used Crisco, but I have zero complains about it. It is readily available, cheap, and effective.

Lets add lard, grape seed oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, bacon grease and butter to the discussion as there are a fair amount of folks using some of these.

Lets add lard, grape seed oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, bacon grease and butter to the discussion as there are a fair amount of folks using some of these.

Don't forget coconut oil, avocado oil, cod liver oil, castor oil, motor oil, garg oil, etc. etc. :grin:

Seriously though, Billy. Your OP was the equivalent of saying "Coke vs. Pepsi. Discuss..." Discuss what? Taste? Caffeine content? Sales per capita in China? :icon_scratchchin:

What exactly would you like discussed? Why are you asking? What is your experience between the two, and why pick only those two? Are you talking about seasoning? Flaking? Process? Number of coats needed? Overall benefits? This is a very helpful forum, but I think you ought to give them more than "Discuss..."
:biggrin:

Crisco
Pro: Works, cheap, readily available.
Con: Rancidity if not used up fast enough.

Flaxseed
Pro: Works, looks nice if properly applied.
Con: Expensive relative to other oils, odor, of little other use, reported flaking.

Grapeseed (refined)
Pro: Works, looks good, stores well, can cook with, can use in food.
Con: None really.

Original PAM
Pro: Works, ease of use, less waste, inherent non-stick property.
Con: Some object to ingredients other than canola.

Don't forget coconut oil, avocado oil, cod liver oil, castor oil, motor oil, garg oil, etc. etc. :grin:

Seriously though, Billy. Your OP was the equivalent of saying "Coke vs. Pepsi. Discuss..." Discuss what? Taste? Caffeine content? Sales per capita in China? :icon_scratchchin:

What exactly would you like discussed? Why are you asking? What is your experience between the two, and why pick only those two? Are you talking about seasoning? Flaking? Process? Number of coats needed? Overall benefits? This is a very helpful forum, but I think you ought to give them more than "Discuss..."

I figured since I posted it in the seasoning forum people would figure it out. Don't make me break out the Big Chief Tablet and jumbo pencil.........:biggrin:

LMAO:biggrin:

Are you Looking for expert, experienced or the hobby CI restoration and seasoning opinion. Well, we all know about opinion. I will leave it at that.

? To the OP You did not add your opinion? :icon_scratchchin:

I was using Olive oil with great results, but the smoke in the house would make my eyes water... Moved to Crisco with fine results...

I like to think about what people had 60+ years ago. Did they have fancy flaxseed oil? Did they have Olive oil, etc.... They probably used lard, pork fat, or they just didn't worry about it.. They cooked, the skillet/pot worked better, they cooked more, it now worked even better, and that was that..

I seriously think that we over think all of this seasoning stuff. Put it on the stove, use whatever oil/grease/fat is handy and cook. Your CI will get better. It's just about the most forgiving thing in my life right now.

I was using Olive oil with great results, but the smoke in the house would make my eyes water... Moved to Crisco with fine results...

I like to think about what people had 60+ years ago. Did they have fancy flaxseed oil? Did they have Olive oil, etc.... They probably used lard, pork fat, or they just didn't worry about it.. They cooked, the skillet/pot worked better, they cooked more, it now worked even better, and that was that..

I seriously think that we over think all of this seasoning stuff. Put it on the stove, use whatever oil/grease/fat is handy and cook. Your CI will get better. It's just about the most forgiving thing in my life right now.

:icon_thumbsup:

Sorry, I was asking because I'm seasoning my first piece. A cheap Cabelas skillet that I've stripped with oven cleaner. I followed Culinary Fanatics video on YouTube. Skillet is in oven right now warming up for first coat of Crisco. I was just wondering if there was anything better. First thing I plan on cooking in it is bacon several times. So I think I'm gonna try the Crisco method first followed by lots of bacon Newbie here

Probably best to just ask whatever question you have from the outset, rather than frame it as a subject for debate. The forum is basically about helping people learn by asking and answering, not by having arguments for arguments' sake. The upside is you get your answers sooner, with less flax... er... I mean flak.

When you refer to "Crisco", are you talking about shorting (the white stuff) or Crisco vegetable oil?

I am a beginner, but I find that aver each use I wipe the pan down with Crisco vegetable oil. I tried grape seed and even used some lard and it it turned sticky after the pan cooled. That doesn't happen with Crisco oil.

When talking about seasoning in general, I think most people mean shortening when they say Crisco. I know I do. I don't even have any traditional vegetable oil on hand.

I've been doing the same thing as you, more or less, but using avocado oil. Works fine for me.

I spent this past weekend finally doing a decent amount of cooking with my CI skillets. I'm finding that I'm caring less about how well I seasoned the pans in the oven, and more about how I cook with and clean them.

When speaking of seasoning, the assumption is Crisco solid shortening, but the post above is talking about using Crisco cooking oil for post-cook wipe-downs.

Just want to note.

I purchased Flax seed oil and was all set to do all my bare cast iron with it before reading reports here about its faults.

Well, I never the less did one pan with flax. It has flaked off in spots and gotten worse. Mainly in the higher heat areas, bottom outside first, bottom inside after some time.

All other pans, used just the same, using different seasoning oil, are in wonderful condition.

Last note, for those with a WINCO store near you. So far the best, blackest look, most slick oil I've used to season with is winco brand spray cooking oil. Better than crisco, bacon, coconut, olive, corn and the others I've tried.

All other pans, used just the same, using different seasoning oil, are in wonderful condition.

Great, Great Grandma, I would doubt had any clue about Flaxseed oil. She would have had access to lard, bacon, butter and after 1911, Crisco. If those were good enough for her, they're good enough for me. Not that I wouldn't welcome something new, but I don't really see any real scientists looking into the seasoning of old cast iron.

I'm a newbie here, and by no means an expert in any field, but I would have to agree with previous posts. Our ancestors used what was at hand--bacon drippings, lard, etc. All of these old cast iron pieces we seek were baptized and used with these. As a child, there was an old pint Ball canning jar in the center, rear of our stove top that held bacon drippings. Dad had bacon every morning. You needed a little oil or seasoning--there it was. If you are using a piece every day, or a couple of times a month, you don't need to worry about things getting rancid. If you are going to hang it on the wall to admire, then that's another story. I use Crisco or Canola oil--works fine for me. One of my old pieces I seldom use--I'll clean it with soap and water and re-season before use.

Honestly, any fat based, food grade, cooking oil will work just fine. It's easy to slip into the "right, but which one is better" abyss and end up driving around town at 5:30 on a Sunday trying to find pure organic flaxseed oil while your wife is patiently annoyed at home because you HAVE to use it, it's the best (just as an example....that definitely didn't happen to me...ha). I've been using original Pam. It's easy, less messy, readily available, does a good job. I will say the best seasoning is as simple as repeated use.....get a base season on there and use it! :)

Glen, I still have a blue ball jar with bacon drippings on my stove.

Getting a bit off topic, but I'm curious if you ever have any problems/concerns with glass and the hot grease pouring in. I only started saving bacon drippings recently, but I'm using an old coffee can specifically because I wasn't sure the glass jar would be safe with the quick heating from the grease.

Back