Cast Iron Holloware Go-Withs

JBaur

Here's some neat stuff that goes with my stuff.

Advertising pan. Has Enterprise Ranges embossed on th back.

20150625_135059.jpg

Salesman sample galvanized pail.

20150625_140315.jpg

Trade Card from Chicago Stove Works. Picture of a parlor stove on the back with information about the products.

20150625_140741.jpg

Sometimes you just NEED a go-with. Many years ago I found out that Griswold sold a wire cleaning brush for their waffle irons. I really could have used one for my first few waffles, but not since. The NEED stuck, but they were always too expensive. Like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-Waffle-Iron-Wire-Cleaning-Brush-/231575784100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eafe0aa4

A couple of days ago I found this "mystery brush" on eBay for $3.95. It was not pretty, but the price was right.

Either mom was a lousy cook or it sat in the bottom of dad's plumbing tool box for a few decades; and dad was a plumber. Surely it saw more than waffle irons, but my go-with is in the mail.

Hilditch

I seem to recall a brush like that in either my father's or grandfather's toolbox, and am fairly sure it didn't come from Griswold nor was it sold to either of them as a waffle iron cleaning brush. More like something to clean tools or parts or solder joints with. I know for certain I wouldn't pay $80 based on a story in an eBay listing, regardless of there being one that looks a lot like it in a CI book or not.

Yep, #46 here: http://www.aladdin3in1.com/products/accessories/wire-brushes.php

Ah, an old brush tells no tales or lies. Yet when it is all cleaned up and sitting next to a Griswold waffle iron it will speak for itself.

No surprise that they still make them as it is a good tool for many things. I can imagine someone at Griswold responding to the outcry from the waffle making impaired by offering a 10¢ fix it brush that Griswold could buy for 2¢. However, it would be too expensive to include with every iron, and besides it would be an insult to many customers so unmarked was fine.

For the record, mine started it's life coming from Griswold until someone proves different. Thus, my NEED is satisfied.

Hilditch

I would love that pan and pail. They would go great with my Phillips & Buttorff
enterprise stove I recently acquired. Are they for sale?

I would love that pan and pail. They would go great with my Phillips & Buttorff
enterprise stove I recently acquired. Are they for sale?

Sure, Bill. I almost bought a P&B tea kettle, but a stove would be way better. The pan shows up every once in a while on auction sites... I have two now. I doubt I'll ever find another pail with the label though. Message me an offer. I can always buy new toys.

The rest of the story about my Griswold waffle iron brush for JBaur & all:

Lye bath - came out clean without leaving much residue. E-tank - got a little rust off. Seasoned with canola at 480° and it came out looking exactly like it did when received as in the pic above. I wasn't the first one to do that.

At that point I ordered two new brushes ($5@) from different sources for comparison sake. One was the same size and one a little wider but all three had the same gauge wire, tension and handle. A different crimping press was used on each but they were all basically the same.

As a great little tool I suspect these have been around for a long time for many different uses including helping the waffle challenged cooks out there. You at least ought to have one in your tool box. I do.

Hilditch

Back