Why Are Logos 180° Off from the Handle?

WEargle

Noob post, I’ve searched the internet and this forum and haven’t found a concrete answer yet. It seems that it would have made sense to have the bottom logos read properly when hung from a nail on a kitchen wall back in the day, but that isn’t the case at all. Has anybody discovered why this was done other than “we’ve always done it this way”?

Alternately, is there an easy way to display a pan so that the logo shows up the right way?

This is just a WAG, but it's all I got. Maybe the makers didn't care about people seeing the logos hanging up in a house, but were more concerned with people seeing them when they were looking them over in the store? If you got a pan off the shelf by the handle you could flip it over and easily read the inscription and decide to buy it then and there adding to Griswold'/Wagner/Wapak's coffers. After the pan was sold it didn't do the maker any good to have the logo seen in the kitchen by the cook. That's probably why Lodge, BSR, and whoever made my SMS didn't put their names on so many pans. They did put paper labels so the customers in the store could see them, though. I also doubt even the best CI had any collectability at all and the deer camp cook from 1919 would be doing cartwheels if he ever could imagine anyone paying over a thousand bucks for his #13 Slant that he used to cook sausage and gravy for the boys in the camp.

Jeez, WEargle's question has been running through my mind for almost a month, and your answer makes a lot of sense, DougE. I've been running ideas for "proper" display through my mind as well, and so far, the only thing that rings true to me is something small or long and narrow (for multiple items), that will accept the handle of the pan from above, as in a hole or a slot, that will keep the pan against the wall with the handle providing all the support (as in a ring for example), or a bar of a given length that will accept the handle, but allows the pan to provide almost all support as it rests on the bar where it meets the handle. But then there's Vollrath...I think I'll have a beer; the more I think about it, the more a simple rack makes sense to me!

Back