Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:00 AM

Default Is Cast Iron Difficult to Find in Your Area?

I live in East Texas and cast iron is readily available. I can drive a few miles and find lots of quality BSR, older Lodge, the Wagnerís and Griswolds. We have a flea market in Canton, Texas which covers almost 50 acres. I probably saw over 10,000 pieces of cast-iron there last month. The problem here is finding Wapaks, Puritan, Favorite, and a few others. But there is lots and lots and lots of iron here. Wondering what the situation was in your specific location.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Is Cast Iron Difficult to Find in Your Area?

I think it's nothing more than the biggest companies made the most CI so you see more of their brands. I live 40 miles from the Vollrath foundry (they're still heavy in the cookware business, just not CI). I live a little over 100 miles from Chicago. Despite my close proximity to where they were made, I very rarely find any Vollrath on my CI hunting excursions and only own a couple pieces as a result. Same goes for CHF pieces. On the other hand, I see BSR, Lodge, Wagner, and Griswold just about everywhere I go. On the relatively few opportunities I've had to go CI hunting outside of Wisconsin, I was surprised the proportions by brand didn't seem to vary much. In central PA, for instance, I would have expected to see a lot more Griswold, but it seemed to me to be about the same as anywhere else I've been. Down south? Expected less Wagner & Griswold, more Lodge & BSR, but again, it didn't seem to vary.

Puritan was actually made for Sears at first by Favorite, and later Griswold.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:18 AM

Iím in Marietta, GA and my Sales territory covers the west side of the state from Columbus to Chattanooga. Lots of cast iron in antique stores. Donít usually find any in thrift stores. Most of what I see is Lodge, BSR and a little Wagner. Not much Griswold and when I do see it, the prices are high.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:15 PM

I'm in Northern Delaware, just south of Philly, and you rarely see cast iron in thrift stores. You can find pieces in some of the antique stores around here but the items are almost always overpriced. Same with Craigslist. Next week I am going to venture down to lower Delaware and see what some of the shops down there have. Most of what I have seen has been Wagner & Lodge, occasionally a Griswold and BSR.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:26 PM

I am in Mass. Quality iron is becoming quite difficult to find. Plenty of it at the antique stores but usually marked well above value considering condition. Craigslist is almost always overpriced as well. Flea markets are my bread and butter, competition is stiff (though friendly).
Old 12-22-2017, 03:41 PM

I live in Northeast GA and have noticed that Lodge and BSR are by far the most common quality brands I run into. Unmarked Wagners are also fairly common. Everybody that sells iron seems to think the Griswold name is gold and priced accordingly, older Wagners are the same way. I have found some good deals on those, but they are few and far between. I seem to have my best luck in fleamarket type stores. CI is usually the first thing to go at yard sales and I'm usually to lazy to get up early enough for those deals.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:51 AM

Is it all Griswolds? I know collectors pay little mind to SBLs, but how are they treated at thrift and antique stores?
Old 12-23-2017, 01:21 AM

Christian, If you were referencing my statement about Griswold being equaled to gold by store owners, I would say yes. So far, of the owners I've met down here, IMO, most wouldn't know the difference between the early Griswold's Erie and the last double-marked Gris/Wagner-as long as they see "Griswold" it's going to be priced through the roof. IMO the best chances of getting one is finding one covered in gunk and clean it up yourself-or get very lucky.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:54 AM

West Central Indiana here, There are lots of overpriced of mostly wagner, and Griswold in our antique stores. I have had the best success at Estate auctions. This is not a high income area that I live in, so most of the iron in the estate sales are store brands or un marked. I bought a Griswold made puritan #8, Favorite #3, 3 notch lodge #6, and a Griswold corn stick pan at the last auction I went to for $20. For the most part there isnt alot of interest in cast iron at the local auctions unless it is a chicken fryer or "name brand"
Old 12-25-2017, 01:30 PM

I live in central/western NJ and started looking for vintage CI to use for cooking back in June. I tend to go to one of the 3 or 4 flea markets within an hour of home.

Like others who responded I most frequently see Wagner, Lodge, and Griswold. Only a handful of BSRs. I bought the only CHF and National seen so far. Also recall seeing a couple of Martins, Vollraths, Victors and Favorites.

Most of the sellers are "clueless", especially if it is a noname item like BSR, CHF and even Wagner or Lodge. Had one seller ask me if I knew anything about the company "sk" that made the 2 skillets he had. He was referring to the sk on a Lodge skillet.

My experience also agrees with others, most sellers think Griswold commands a premium. The only Griswold I have purchased so far is the #9 "ERIE" I got for $35 (pictured in a separate post), which is worth it to me.