E-tank not deep enough.

Shawn R

I pulled a 12 spider skillet out of the lye just now. When I went to put it in my e-tank, I realized that it is about an inch to long to fit under the water. I put it in the vinegar tank for now but really want to e-tank. Will there be a real noticeable difference in the finish between above and below the water line?

You can flip it over and lean it against the side, not touching the anode, and run it that way for a while. It's OK if it touches the bottom of the tank (assuming your tank is not metal and being used as the anode). If there's a ghost of a line left, use vinegar and steel wool to even it out.

Thanks for the quick response Doug! I'm going to give it a try. I'm using a 10 gallon trash can that is rectangle shaped, and use rebar in the four corners. I might have to leave one rebar out to keep the skillet from touching.

What kind of time frame would you think between flipping it over? Do you think it would be okay to run it over night, flip it in the morning, then run it for the rest of the next day?

I would expect the tip of a handle to be the least cruddy part of it. Shouldn't require much time in that position.

Well the spider turned out pretty good. It's a bit more pitted than I had hoped, and it has a crack. It worked great for breakfast at the campground this weekend.
2015-6-20%20cast%20iron%20006.jpg
[/URL]"]
2015-6-20%20cast%20iron%20008.jpg
[/URL]"]
2015-6-20%20cast%20iron%20027.jpg
[/URL]"]

I have seven spider skillets and one that is almost exactly like yours except it says "10 in" on the handle' same fount and lay out. You wouldn't know who made it or where it came from, I don't and was wondering, looks old. David

I have seven spider skillets and one that is almost exactly like yours except it says "10 in" on the handle' same fount and lay out. You wouldn't know who made it or where it came from, I don't and was wondering, looks old. David
Hey David, I have no idea who the maker was or where it was made. The best I can tell from the grey book, it dates to around 1850.

Back