Thrift store stack

Bonnie Scott

I went to the scrap yard looking for a rack which I didn't find. I was in the neighborhood so I stopped next door at the Thrift store and got this little stack for $20. I like the hammered one best but the Detroit pan is pretty cool also.

Thrift stores around here are far and few between. Seems that some places have them all over the place. Nice score. Now best you find that extra rack.:eek:

What's that one on the upper-right, with the heat ring? Does it say something about Detroit?

I also can't seem to find anything useful in thrift stores. The bigger ones harvest the CI before it ever goes out, and auctions it online. We don't have any mom & pop thrift stores around here anymore. Lucky you!!

Oh, and scrap metal dealers here can't sell to the public. I checked with three of them.

Bonnie Scott, I have like six thrift stores within a square mile around my house.

A square mile around my house, just left my property. Maybe one thrift store in 75 miles.

scrap metal dealers here can't sell to the public

Well, there are 2 about 50 miles away mostly junk. OH! Junk yard. They will sell to me.

Only miles. :roll:

Nice finds Bonnie.

I've got 5-6 thrift stores and a few antique stores near work. I usually hit them every other week during lunch. I'll hit some thrift and a couple antiques stores one day and get the others a different day. I usually don't find anything in thrift stores, but this month I got a 3 notch Lodge #6 for $7 and got 2 #10 BSR's for $4.

My local scrap yard doesn't sell to the public either. I asked the guy if they ever get any cast iron cookware. He said yes all the time but cant sell any. When I ask why, he could only say it was company policy. What a shame.

Nice finds Bonnie.

I've got 5-6 thrift stores and a few antique stores near work. I usually hit them every other week during lunch. I'll hit some thrift and a couple antiques stores one day and get the others a different day. I usually don't find anything in thrift stores, but this month I got a 3 notch Lodge #6 for $7 and got 2 #10 BSR's for $4.

My local scrap yard doesn't sell to the public either. I asked the guy if they ever get any cast iron cookware. He said yes all the time but cant sell any. When I ask why, he could only say it was company policy. What a shame.
They don't have a tax ID for selling stuff. That's what I was told after I pushed a bit to find out why the company had that policy.

Of course, that doesn't mean that they can't GIVE stuff away, especially when a 6 pack of beer is given in thanks.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

I don't always have luck at the thrift stores but that doesn't stop me from making the rounds. Today was a fluke. I have like six thrift stores within a square mile around my house. :D
Dan, here is a picture of a Detroit skillet that is a little cleaner than mine.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/496381190151541381/
I hadn't heard of them before. Do you know anything about them? Is "Detroit" the name of the company/foundryor is that simply their location?

They don't have a tax ID for selling stuff. That's what I was told after I pushed a bit to find out why the company had that policy.

Of course, that doesn't mean that they can't GIVE stuff away, especially when a 6 pack of beer is given in thanks.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

I hadn't heard of them before. Do you know anything about them? Is "Detroit" the name of the company/foundryor is that simply their location?

Dan, I am familiar with the Detroit skillets. I learned about them when I was looking for information on my Detroit waffle iron. There were a number of foundry's in Detroit so it's hard to narrow down who made it.

Here is my WI.
https://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2262

Thrift stores are hit and miss.. when I Least expect it boom, there I find a piece .. I've been hitting up thrift shops for the past two weeks with no luck.. but last month I got a Diamond #5, a Small logo Griswold #5, a Arc logo Lodge #8, and 1 or 2 other pieces that escape my mind. Yet a week before that I got a Large logo Griswold #9 for $17.. again it's hit or miss.. some times I think the time and gas spend evens it out .. Swap meets are a usually better plus you can negotiate.. last week at the swap meet I got a No.7 Martin Dutch oven with lid and a #8 Wapak skillet for $55! :chuckle:

I've never talked to the local scrap yards to see if they would let me dig around.

My local scrap yard sets the cast iron cookware aside. I stop by every couple of weeks to see if anyone gets rid of their junk which could become my treasure.

RLMuse, how wonderful is that! Now I need to check ASAP.. I thought of it a couple months back but never did it .. thank you! now that encourages me to check ..who knows I'll pull up with a roasted chicken around lunch time, with some refreshments to see if it works out :icon_rofl:

It just occurred to me that we have people that advertise on phone poles and Craigslist for scrap metal. Obviously, they bring it to those places that can't resell, but I"ll bet these guys can! I think I need to make a few phone calls.

Nice find as always Bonnie!

My best finds tend to be a flea markets; usually I can pick up several pieces at prices that don't break the bank. I have about three thrift shops that I frequent weekly, and sometimes can be great, but often times not much there.

Auctions can also be the way to go, I often find bundles of cast iron go at somewhat reasonable prices as well.

Good luck!

-J

My local scrap yard sets the cast iron cookware aside. I stop by every couple of weeks to see if anyone gets rid of their junk which could become my treasure.
I made a trip up north today... small town country... and stopped by two scrap dealers. The first one had nothing, but he (the only guy that works there) gladly took my number and said he'd text me when he gets a few saved up. I suggested "a couple bucks apiece, more than you'd get as scrap" and he seemed fine with that.

At the next place, I was greeted by a junkyard dog (a real wuss!) and two guys spent about ten minutes looking around for some that they knew to be there somewhere. They finally found three very rusted, heavy generics. I took them for $5, mostly for their trouble and for future relationship. But I guess it can happen... just need to get out of the city.

Back