The ultimate E-Tank

I've watched those videos and while I agree it's a nice looking setup and works effectively in my opinion with the money he spent on his tote, 4 c-clamps, exterior cable with 5 connectors, 4 jumper wires with 8 clamps, 2 plastic crates, pvc stand (tube, elbows and tees) and chain I've probably got less money in my 55 gal. plastic barrel lined 360* with a sheet of stainless steel. I hang pieces on S-hooks bent from 1/8" steel suspended from a piece of old broomstick layed across top of barrel. I've used this setup for 4 years and 500+ pieces with no degradation of the stainless and the only maintenance being occasionally scrubbing some scum off of the stainless with a long handled nylon brush and changing water once a year. My setup probably has the same footprint as his and will do pieces 20" across and 30" long. If you don't have a stainless liner you can also hang an anode from a separate hook till your able to locate one. If you have problem finding a cheap sheet of stainless look for metal scrappers in the "wanted" section of your local Craigslist. Just contact and tell them what your looking for and that you will pay more than the scrapyard will. My piece was thin enough so I could roll it just enough to go in barrel then let it expand back out to fit tightly against the sides.

Agreed. He went way overboard on that set up.

I've watched those videos and while I agree it's a nice looking setup and works effectively in my opinion with the money he spent on his tote, 4 c-clamps, exterior cable with 5 connectors, 4 jumper wires with 8 clamps, 2 plastic crates, pvc stand (tube, elbows and tees) and chain I've probably got less money in my 55 gal. plastic barrel lined 360* with a sheet of stainless steel. I hang pieces on S-hooks bent from 1/8" steel suspended from a piece of old broomstick layed across top of barrel. I've used this setup for 4 years and 500+ pieces with no degradation of the stainless and the only maintenance being occasionally scrubbing some scum off of the stainless with a long handled nylon brush and changing water once a year. My setup probably has the same footprint as his and will do pieces 20" across and 30" long. If you don't have a stainless liner you can also hang an anode from a separate hook till your able to locate one. If you have problem finding a cheap sheet of stainless look for metal scrappers in the "wanted" section of your local Craigslist. Just contact and tell them what your looking for and that you will pay more than the scrapyard will. My piece was thin enough so I could roll it just enough to go in barrel then let it expand back out to fit tightly against the sides.

Do you add any additional super washing soda detergent during the course of the year?

The sodium carbonate would not be diluted by evaporation. Since only water evaporates, the solution becomes stronger. Adding plain water to make up for the evaporation returns the solution to it original strength.

I'd be interested to see a pic of your setup if possible

I'd be interested to see a pic of your setup if possible

Not much to see but here it is. As you can see by the marks on barrel the water level is lower than it normally is. I have a piece of stainless flat stock bolted to the stainless sheet that extends above the normal water level to hook positive cable to. During the summer I usually run it 24/7 but it's kept outside and doesn't get used during the winter unless the temps stay pretty mild. If it's a really cold winter and I don't plan on using it I hang a bucket heater in it and just let the water freeze solid. When the weather starts to warm up I can plug the heater in and have the whole tank thawed in a half day instead of waiting days for it to thaw on its own.

Attachments

• 2017-01-30 20.47.46.jpg
    2017-01-30 20.47.46.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 32
Back