Counting Cast Iron

Thanks. OK. I think I’m with you Eric on most of this. You got me to realize that if I call the waffle iron set one piece of cookware, which I do, then the patty mold set is one piece of cookware too as they need to be used together. One mold shape or 10 they function as one only when together.

But. Does it make a difference if I have two sets of waffle irons the same size, one regular and one hearts and stars, if I have one base or two bases which fit both?

I’m working on understanding you views on lids. What I read is that if a lid fits only one vessel it does not get counted separately as a piece of cookware, but if I’m lucky enough to have two pieces that it fits then it is a separate piece of cookware. Is that correct?

Hilditch

Thanks. OK. I think I’m with you Eric on most of this. You got me to realize that if I call the waffle iron set one piece of cookware, which I do, then the patty mold set is one piece of cookware too as they need to be used together. One mold shape or 10 they function as one only when together.

But. Does it make a difference if I have two sets of waffle irons the same size, one regular and one hearts and stars, if I have one base or two bases which fit both?

I’m working on understanding you views on lids. What I read is that if a lid fits only one vessel it does not get counted separately as a piece of cookware, but if I’m lucky enough to have two pieces that it fits then it is a separate piece of cookware. Is that correct?

Hilditch
Haha, good point...

I don't know much about waffle irons or syrup warmers - I'm a griller / saute'er / roaster / braiser / etc; I don't bake much other than making cupcakes with The Kid, because she wants to. I live fairly low-carb, unless you count alcohol...

I guess, aside from standalone function like a pan, the key is how it was designed / intended to be used. Was the waffle iron base designed to be used with multiple waffle iron sets? Were other iron sets sold separately without a base, to be used with a pre-existing base? If so then yes, the base is a separate piece, regardless of how many you have.

But a syrup warmer, were the lids and trivets also sold separately, to be matched with different pitchers? If not, they're a single set.

And regarding your question on my view of lids, it again goes back to how it was intended to be used - was it designed to fit multiple pieces, regardless of which pieces you actually have?

Again just my meaningless opinion but enjoying the discussion.

And a hearts and stars waffle iron sounds cool...

No, alcohol carbs don’t count, and the calories are iffy. I like the way you have specific criteria for your definition of cookware. I don’t think anyone could prove you to be wrong. Lets see how this plays out to the pic in post #14.

The Griswold waffle iron: The paddles/irons are sold as a set but due to various styles of bases the base is sold separately. The base will handle different sets of paddles. How it is sold, intent appears to trump how it is used so that makes 2 pieces of cookware even though all 3 pieces are needed to function correctly.

The skillet and the lid were sold separately and the lid fits other vessels so that is 2 pieces.

The sauce pan and skillet lid were only sold as a set, making it 1 piece. As the lid is designed as a skillet both pieces can be used separately at the same time making them 2 pieces.

The DO and lid were sold as a set. The lid was also sold separately as it fit other vessels. So that makes this 2 pieces.

The three syrup warmer pieces were sold as a set and nuttin’ fits nuttin’ else so that is 1 piece.

Total = 9 pieces of cookware. How did I do?

Hilditch

Against my better judgment I will make one last post regarding this thread.
Going back to post #1...The question posted ask "how many pieces of COOKWARE do I have"? I think there was a range of 5 to 12 for answers. In post #14 there was a picture relating to the original post (#1) in which it was stated to have a total of 14 "cast iron pieces" which included the two grates the pieces were sitting on.
There were some good explanations and some far fetched ones also. I think EricC was the most logical when it comes to the definition of "cookware". Can't say I agree with the last post of (9) pieces.
(a) A waffle iron has to have a base to use as a piece of cookware. Whether the base is high or low or if other waffle irons fits the same base it is still a unit of three pieces to make (1) piece of cookware.
(b) A dutch oven has to have a lid to function properly as a dutch oven. If it were a stand alone pot it would still be one piece of cookware. My opinion is w/ or w/out a lid it is (1) piece of cookware.
(c) The syrup warmer is what it is. No disagreements. (1) piece of cookware.
(d) The sauce pan with skillet lid can be used as two pieces of cookware so I will agree that it is (2) pieces of cookware even though it is color coordinated and of the same style.
(e) The fry pan w/ lid is a bit misleading. The pan by its self is a piece of cookware whether it does or does not have a lid. The lid is an accessory to aid in the preparation of food but can not be cooked in without altering it to do so.
I count it as (1) piece of cookware. BTW...I did not see any ears on the lid of which would normally appear for skillet lids to cover the pour spouts. It looks like a tab handle w/ a ring which is kind of neat.
So....My original guess of (5) pieces of cookware is now (6) due to the addition of the skillet/lid....If you are counting cast iron PIECES it is (12).

OK MD. My original choice was six, and it is still strong. Post #23 was to see if I understood Eric's thoughts correctly as there is some good logic there.

BTW, the lid on the skillet has no ears but covers the spouts on the BSR #5 perfectly.

Hilditch

Back