Loving our CI

We started with a Lodge 10.25" about two weeks ago. My first cooking attempt resulted in tasty crappie dinner but I found out I used way too high of heat so I had to use the coarse kosher salt scrub to clan the crusty mess in the bottom of the pan. I seriously never would have guessed that a pan the crusted up would ever come clean but the kosher salt worked fantastic.

I learned a cheap lesson, did more research & since mastered the (over easy) eggs and bacon that I love for breakfast. It got easier and easier to cook with, so I threw away my favorite Tfal pan.

Since then, we've bought the 13.25" Lodge and after seasoning, tried 2 deep dish pizzas (Pepperoni, mushroom & Itlian sausage) . Turned out better than I would have ever thought. They were the confirmation for us that we are going to love these new CI cookware. I can't wait to get and succeed with a DO, so we can throw our crockpot in the garbage too!!

Also can't wait to cook some filet steaks on the new CI. I've never cooked a steak indoors, ever! I'm a charcoal only steak guy but I am looking to change that and at least have the CI as an option when it's not great bbq weather outside.

You just can't beat those over easy eggs cooked in CI. I had a few this morning. My wife has mastered those. Had some excellent sausage gray and biscuits too.
I have been trying to master the 4 egg omelet flip, I still use a spatula most of the time but hit it once without, of course I was alone so nobody believes me.
Tony

I've tried the steaks twice (tenderloins) since my last post and dang they were fantastic,,! I did give them 7 minutes start on each side on the charcoal grill,it's 20 degrees out both times here when I did, then I finished them in a 450 degree oven, putting a thin slab of butter on each steak just before they went in the oven. Also did a seperate cast iron DO of vegetables ....another day I did chicken breast with bone in and skin on and Veges and turned out great , I'm feeling like an idiot savant here in the kitchen. I never cooked much before cause I sucked at it so Now when everything I try ROCKS , this is all of a sudden lots of fun to be in the kitchen and trying new recipes! I can't wait to make cornbread and I did already throw out the majority of the TFal , just kept the sauce pans.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 37
Last one , I promise . This is the chicken breast with bone in and skin on....seared on the stove the baked in the oven , Seared in the same cast iron skillet with the Veges

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 37
Dude! You've figured it out! :icon_thumbsup: Clothes may not make the man, but I'm thinking CI makes the chef.:grin:

Thanks! It sure took us long enough but it sure is hard to go out to eat at all now. Everything we try is just turning out better than we ever could have imagined. We have really been missing out for too long. This 7qt Dutch oven made the most tender chicken I've ever made and I thought my bbq grilled chicken was something to be desired , the Dutch oven was simple and twice as tender!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 16
Excellent job,
when I first got my CI I didn't think I would use it that often. Boy I was wrong. From stove top to baking I use them a lot.

Back