Button hinge Griswold

Bonnie Scott

I like the wire handles also but I believe this WI originally had wooden handles. Either way I am keeping them because they are permanently attached. Now the hard part will be finding the base.

I like the wire handles also but I believe this WI originally had wooden handles. Either way I am keeping them because they are permanently attached. Now the hard part will be finding the base.

In the past few weeks I have come across 2 Griswold and 2 Wagner waffle paddle sets that were reasonably priced. I passed on them all because they were missing the bases. If you find a source, please let me know.

I have the same piece with original wood handles. Even though not correct I like the handles on yours. I have been looking for a correct base going on a year... Love the hunt.

Doug, I have a couple of questions about this WI. Was the button hinge the first hinge? and, can you post a link to the patent information please?

Bonnie...Think the info you are looking for is in the resources patent data base under Griswold, Pat.#502086 dated July 25th, 1893 by D. Shields...

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Sorry Bonnie...I looked at the wrong patent number when I wrote it down. Patent number should be 229280 which is in our Resources section under U.S. patents.

I found another one of these button hinge waffle irons on shopgoodwill.com last week. It was dirty so they couldn't read the maker but the button hinge was a give away. It was complete with the base for $44 shipping included so I bought it. It came in the mail yesterday and I am pretty happy with it. I will have to wait until it warms up to clean it because the lye tank is just to cold.

I know. I saw this post and just stumbled upon it while rambling around ebay. They even have the base handle.

Back