Please Help Me ID This Pan

DEBenjamin

I have attached photos of a pan I got out of a free box, covered in rust. The pan is 11” 5/16 across the top of the wall, cartouche on bottom is about 1” 7/8 by 1” 7/16, the top line reads “8 & 9” as far as I can tell, the bottom line is illegible from rust pitting, solid fire ring, center gate mark. one pour spout. Picture of top of distinctive handle included.

In my limited research I have never seen a makers mark like this. I’m guessing someone here will know what this is. Despite its history the only pitting is inside the fire ring on the bottom. Inside is really flat(?) & smooth, dip in center of less than 1/32”.

Thank you for any info you can share.

Attachments

• 000_0155.jpg
    000_0155.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 000_0154.jpg
    000_0154.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 000_0153.jpg
    000_0153.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 34
You may never find out anything about it. I personally have never seen one. Could be a SMS?

Thanks for that.
Had search SMS on the site, now I know something new.
So…it’s old (gate mark), seems well made, in good shape, kind of big, unique…it must be EXTREMELY valuable right???
I suspect just the opposite based on the absence of history.
It is valuable to me. It is the oldest pan I own, I rescued it from certain destruction, and that handle is a piece of art.
On further examination the marks on the bottom: my wife found me in the kitchen squinting at the skillet under the brightest lights in the house and suggested doing a rubbing like people do on old gravestones.I knew Ihad a good reason to marry her.
top line = 8 & 9
bottom line = 3 letters ending in W, center looks like it is probably an “&”, first letter could be a B or an S. So… B&W or S&W?
A quick google turns up nothing.

Im sure there are others like it out there, but its old for sure. I dont own a single pour spout skillet, but Im always looking. As for value, Im of no help. Old and unique usually means kinda pricey, but this skillet Im not sure. Very nice tho! And Welcome to The Forums!

Thank you DougD.
On the thread you posted I clicked on the "already discussed here" link and there were photos of my skillet.

So I've got a late 1800's P&W 8&9

Thanks all for the help & the education.

Back