Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 11-13-2021, 08:47 PM

Unhappy All New Cast Iron

Why is all new cast iron created with that rough pebble finish! I have looked at, even, the most expensive cast iron and they all have that finish. I find it very unattractive. I own 1 but 2 of my pans, an 8" and 10", though nothing special, are old and smooth surfaced. I also have a grill pan and reversible griddle-grill made by Benjamin Medwin, both without the pebble surface. They are only about 30 years old. Sadly Benjamin Medwin is no longer in business. Are there any cast iron skillet makers that still create smooth surface pans?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2021, 09:42 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: All New Cast Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_A_Temple View Post
Are there any cast iron skillet makers that still create smooth surface pans?
Only at an extremely premium price.

Modern castings post-mid-20th century are the product of automated molding processes. The fine grained sand and mold finishing products of hand-poured castings are a thing of the past. Also gone is the polish grinding of cooking surfaces, a costly, labor intensive process abandoned in the competition to survive against with Asian imports, of which Benjamin & Medwin, its American sounding name notwithstanding, was one.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:06 PM

https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2o...nc-of-new-york "Benjamin & Medwin Inc. of New York filed as a Domestic Business Corporation in the State of New York and is no longer active. This corporate entity was filed approximately thirty-three years ago on Wednesday, June 1, 1988 as recorded in documents filed with New York Department of State."

Where ever they were cast, they did have the satin smooth finish I am so fond of.

"I didn’t recognize this brand, Benjamin & Medwin, so I did a little digging. Most sources say that these pans are made in China, and are not vintage (two strikes against them for many cast iron purists), but Christopher Kimball, the writer and producer of Cooks Illustrated magazine, has stated that he really likes these pans. He says that they are lighter-weight and yet will do everything you want a cast iron pan to do. And I figure if they are good enough for my friend Christopher, they are good enough for me!"

(I feel the same way!)

Last edited by Jennifer_A_Temple; 11-13-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:12 AM

Not sure if you have ever heard of them, but Stargazer and Butter Pat Industries seem smooth. I have no real world hands on to this, just going by pictures and such. Butter Pat is hand made it says, and smooth. They are individually numbered I think. Both are made in the USA. The Butter Pat handle sure looks like a Wapak Indian Head handle........
Old 11-15-2021, 12:31 PM

I see Paderno has a smooth surfaced skillet "DESIGNED in Canada". It looks suspiciously like another pan I seen somewhere during mu web surfing.