Collector Value of Spinners?

KevinB

Been a long time since I've been on the board. Went to an amazing estate sale last weekend. Large mansion built in 1910, and nobody ever threw anything out! Picked up a Waterman gem pan, but what I really wanted was a Griswold small logo #12 skillet. Could have got it for $125, but it would spin and rock badly. I probably wouldn't cook with it, but how much would be willing to pay?

Not much collector value for spinners, but they will still cook a great meal. I wouldn’t pay 125 for one though. I bought a #12 SBL Griswold from a guy for $30 that was using it for a feed bowl for his goats. It cleaned up great! We use it all the time. He thought I was stupid for paying that. Lol

Thanks! I figured as much, but it was the first big Griswold skillet I'd seen. I was really surprised how light it was. I see a few small ones, and lots of southern stuff like corn stick pans, but not much big, marked skillets or gem pans.

I consider myself a User/Collector. I use them more than anything else, but I have a few I wont cook in. A spinner to me wouldnt be a deal breaker, but not 125.....I hold the skillet while I stir, so Im not worried about spinning,

So to be fair I am a Collector, User, Horder, Restorer, Seller.

$125. for a #12 Griswold made me laugh. Story; I went to an amazing estate auction a few years back in Northern NH with quite a number of nice cast iron pieces, but also some can I say junk. So this fool was bidding on just about every piece that I was, keep in mind I do my homework before any sale / auction. So I knew the junk from the good iron. This #12 SBL Griswold is up for bids, I know it has a crack, hard to see with all the crud but quite a dud ring, so I found the crack with my light. So I place the first bid and sure enough my bidding shadow starts bidding. Well I dumped it and he won it for $125.00. The best part he was out of $$ so I won more iron for less $$.

Your question. I would never pay good money for a cracked piece. I went to a small shop in the sticks one time and showed the owner a #11 Very Early skillet they were trying to sell for $75.00, it went home with me for $25.00 It is my go to skillet and the little crack does not leak and is a great user. The best part it is flat and very thin, keeper.

So the #12 you did not pick up for $125. you saved some $$. But at the right price it still is a user for oven cooking, gas top stoves, the grill, or the fire pit cooking.

Hope You don't think I use my collection for cooking.

I would, depending how bad it spins, give no more than $25.00 It would be a user, so you would know there the oil will pool and use it as is.

I have been wanting a user #12 for a while but hadn’t ran across one in the wild in my price range. This fall I finally found one at a big annual flea market. It is an unknown unmarked Pan and it’s a spinner. But it works great on my outside gas cooker. The best part, I talked him down to $20. So I have a good user and can keep hunting for a better one. But I’ll be happy with a vintage Lodge or BSR. I don’t pay Griswold prices. But I love buying a Griswold at BSR/Lodge prices😉

I have a #12 Wapak that I got for 65 dollars. It pitted on the coking side, but Ive had it for a few years and they are filling in great. I just like the size of a #12......I cook for 4 so I need the size.

Back