Handy Dan Copy?

as far as I know the handy dan is always marked with the 74 H marking on the back. I suppose there could be unmarked ones... ????

All the pictures of these that I have seen are marked. From what I have found on line, these were made in the late 1980s, not long before BSR closed. It seems strange that someone would go to the trouble of copying it at that late date, but who knows. The casting quality is just fair. There are a lot of minor flaws, flashing on the edge of the pan and the hanging hole. What looks like grind marks on the back. That would lead me to think its a reproduction, but the pics I've seen on line show the same type of defects on the real ones. I got it cheap, and it is a bit different.

I have read that these are a bit rare, I have never seen one before. I have seen one picture on line with a ruler next to it and it seems to be the same size. I'll get around to cleaning it eventually. I'm in the Atlanta area and I see a lot of BSR. My first impression was BSR, but who knows? The place I got it is about the only thrift shop that consistently seems to have any CI. Not much Griswold, but I have seen and bought a lot of BSR and Lodge.

Kevin,
It could be from a first run to check quality or from the original ones made before they started producing them for that public.

Back