Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 01-11-2021, 07:30 PM

Default Electrolysis Tank - Newbie!

I set up my first electrolysis tank yesterday evening and it appears to be working but I'm not sure. I'm using a 20 gallon plastic tub, rebar for the anode, and a newly purchased 12V/6V battery charger. It seems to be working okay; the piece is very rusty. I noticed the battery charger would blink green yesterday and today but after unplugging, disconnecting the positive and negative clamps, and pulling the cast iron piece for inspection this evening that once I tried to set it all back up, the battery charger isn't blinking green. Does that mean it's not working? The surface of the bath is very foamy but I'm not seeing active bubbles coming up. I used OxiClean washing soda and specifically looked for sodium carbonate as the main ingredient (not sodium bicarbonate).
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2021, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Electrolysis Tank - Newbie!

Pics of electrolysis tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electrolysis tank.jpg (85.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg close up tank.jpg (93.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-11-2021, 08:23 PM
Site Admin

If the product you are speaking of is not 100% sodium carbonate, I would ditch it and replace with Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda which is. Since your make and model battery charger is unknown, what the flashing green light means isn't clear. I assume the charger is a manual one?
Old 01-11-2021, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the advice on the soda wash. It isn't 100% sodium carbonate. I'll do a switch out tomorrow. It had a second ingredient that was a peroxide...cannot remember exactly (maybe hydrogen peroxide) and I've already disposed packing and garbage truck came by today.

Should've sent a picture of my charger. Now attached. It's Vector brand. A flashing green light indicates that the unit is 'Operating'. To left is a hazard symbol that indicates if unit has a 'Fault LED Indicator'; I assume flashes or lights up red. But I'm not seeing that nor the green flashing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery charger.jpg (68.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:20 PM
Site Admin

Your charger appears to be an automatic trickle charger/maintainer. Automatic chargers see the electrolysis circuit as a charged battery and shut themselves off. The charger used needs to be a manual one or have a manual setting.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:06 PM

Thank you again! learning a lot here. I'll fix all this tomorrow!
Old 01-11-2021, 10:34 PM
Site Admin

Direct links to all website reference topics now appear at the bottom of all forum pages.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:41 PM

Having trouble finding a manual 12/6V battery charger. I've been to Lowes, The Home Depot, Walmart, and an auto parts store and all they have are automatic ones. And if you ask a sales clerk they look at you like they don't know what you're talking about. I'm starting to look on-line and when I think I found what I need, it's out of stock or not really a manual one but an automatic that switches to trickle mode. Really frustrating. I'm anxious to get started on the handful of cast iron pieces I've got in the garage.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:33 AM

Jegs makes them, I believe.

I found a few on Facebook Marketplace, flea markets, estate sales, etc. Don't give up!
Old 01-13-2021, 11:34 AM

Thanks. I may try the 12V battery option tied to tank and use an automatic charger to charge the battery. I read the information on electrolysis on this website and it says that's a an option. Any worries about battery draining and charging not being able to keep charge? That would be an expensive 'trial and error' tactic.