Griswold # 50 SAD iron

DaleR

Can any one school me on this particular sad iron? Is this one of the harder to find smaller sizes? Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• 0104171817.jpg
    0104171817.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 0105171618.jpg
    0105171618.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 0104171819.jpg
    0104171819.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 40
The coverage of sad irons in the BB and RB is about three pages total. What is given as value is a generic $75-100, and that obviously pertains to those in complete and undamaged condition, which yours appears to be.

I saw that in the books but I just sold this one and apparently it's a super rare piece. I was TOTALLY surprised by the price paid and wondered what I missed. I'm always looking for an education so I asked one of the losing bidders and was told they would've started it out at $200 MINIMUM...Hmmm

I see one similar to yours listed at $200, but most in the actually sold category only brought around $20 average. Those were not exactly yours, in that they were "No. 50", but size 1 and 2. I don't collect them, so my knowledge of them is minimal.

Comment: Dale, I think the value of your sad iron may relate partly to its condition. It's a beautiful piece; the handle especially is very nice, and since it fits the iron well, the whole item is very pretty. These guys got so much hard use that it is not common to see one in such good condition. I'm sure size is also important in establishing value, but nice appearance is a big thing with household items that were so much used.

Back