Sad Iron Collecting

SeanD

I was just wondering if anyone else collects them, and trivets? Im new to Sad Irons, but Im liking it. I have one for now, going to keep my eye out for more. Any thoughts?

There are definitely collectors of both. I have sold several trivets to collectors on Facebook groups. From my experience, sad irons don't have a lot of value, in general. I'm sure there are some valuable ones, just like any other collectible.

I just thought Id collect Wapak sad iron, as I love all Wapaks. I have NO rational reasoning other than I like the defects.......If that makes sense? Every one is unique!

I have three sad irons. I picked a couple up less than $5 at thrift shops and I got one from a friend in a bundle deal. I also have a small kerosene operated sad iron heater. It has a wick like a modern kerosene heater. They aren’t very valuable because every house had at least two. One would be heating up while you used the other one. I see several at every antique shop. I also have a couple of oval shaped cast iron pans that are listed as Sad Iron pans but mine has pour spouts so I call them long griddles. But I can’t confirm what they were sold as.

Thanks for the info....I currently have 3 also....2 unknow ones and a Wapak. Im going to try to get a set of them....I think they go from #2 to #8?

As a side question, is there an actual name for this sad iron, or do you call it a Sad Iron? It has a removable wood handle . Thank you.

Attachments

• Sad Iron.jpg
    Sad Iron.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 21
I started collecting some different styles of them. But, I don’t know if I want to expand the collection. I’m kind of satisfied having some of each variety. I have the traditional type, gas powered and charcoal powered. I think they’re pretty cool. I want to use them… but not on my clothes lol.

Attachments

• 6E28443C-829E-4E3F-81DF-83329FD401A1.jpg
    6E28443C-829E-4E3F-81DF-83329FD401A1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 13
As a side question, is there an actual name for this sad iron, or do you call it a Sad Iron? It has a removable wood handle . Thank you.

I believe the wooden handle was designed to swap it onto a hot iron when that one got cool. It could take a long time to iron linens. It’s still a sad iron, sad meaning heavy in old English. One of my irons was made with asbestos. It was thought to contain the heat better.

Thanks for the replies and the picture. I want to collect a few as a hobby. One good thing is they are usually fairly cheap, lol.

From a New York Times article, "A Glimpse Inside the Workshops of the World’s Finest Panama Hat Makers" (July 2020)

Attachments

• Sad Iron.jpg
    Sad Iron.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the pic! Im trying have a wood burning stove in my house soon, and I may actually try to use one. Im a Newbie at any kind of ironing tho, lol..

Over on the ADV cast iron cooking thread one guy got the idea to use one he had been using as a door stop as a bacon and burger press. All it needed was some cleaning up. Others followed suit.

Back