Unmarked Wagner Bacon & Egg Skillet

JJPaul

I picked up a B&E divided single round hole in handle skillet today. No marking or catalog numbers on it. The only thing is a #4 on the underside of the handle just below the hole. I haven't found any pictures of an unmarked one or one that has a 4 on the underside of the handle, Anyone ever see one like this? Thanks!

Here you go. Thanks

Attachments

• wagner 1.jpg
    wagner 1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 69
  • wagner 2.jpg
    wagner 2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 76
  • wagner 3.jpg
    wagner 3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 67
A raised mark on a Wagner piece would be unusual. I would try to determine if there is evidence of side gating (distinct grind marks at the lip), and if not, are the three spots on the bottom sprue marks.

are the three spots on the bottom sprue marks.

Yes three round spots that have been ground down is what they look like.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

A few more pics. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 34
And the pan weighs about 63 ozs on my cheap digital scale. I misread your earlier post. I don't know what the marks are.

Far more revealing of the expected casting flaws. You can see the pan the copy was made from was side gated, but there are no fresh grind marks as there would be if this pan was actually side gated.

The weight isn't usually significant.

The marks are where the molten iron entered the mold.

I know next to nothing about cast iron or how it was produced although I have 8 or 10 older pieces. What do you think this is, a copy of a Wagner? And thank you for all of your replies.

These more quick-and-dirty produced pieces we tend to term recasts rather than copies, as they were "re-cast" from a pan used as a pattern as opposed to an actual pattern. The reference topics on the main website explain many CI-related concepts.

Back