Lemon Juicer 453

Bonnie Scott

I've had my eye on this for a few months and finally picked it up yesterday for 20$ I have some 1000 and 2000 grit sand paper but I am thinking I need a rougher grit for the well part of this piece. The oxidation is not at all deep on the outside or the handle despite the appearance in the photo.

http://imgur.com/a/1GBqv

You probably picked one of the hardest pieces to make shiny but you appear to be one the right track. I have followed the aluminum restoration instructions listed here on CIC and have had good success. If your piece is not pitted you may be able to start w/ a 800 grit paper and go from there. With all those groves it will be difficult to get a shiny looking surface everywhere but some patience will reward you greatly. Good luck and do a re-post once you have finished it.

Michael, the only part I would call pitted is the bottom of the well where the juice would have rested. I am not sure I even care if that part gets smooth or not but I do care about making fast work of cleaning it. Would it be faster to start with a 400 grit or would I save time with the 800? I'm not shooting for perfect I just want it shinier than the other ones I have seen. The underside of the juicer feels really smooth and not pitted at all but the 1000 grit is just not quite rough enough to remove the black areas quickly. I also started with wet paper, does dry work any better?

Use the wet paper. Know it makes more of a mess but since the piece is small you can get a dish pan type container with warm water and it will feel better on your hands. I personally would start with the 800 grit. The lemon juice is what's caused the discoloration and probably some pitting. It was a good looking piece by Wagner but not so thoughtful when it come to being practical. I have seen other lemon juicers that had enamel/ceramics applied where the juice would gather thus no corrosion in that area. You'll know when you have done enough to make pretty. Hang in there.

I put on my readers and realized I was going to town with the 2000 grit. :coffee: It's shining up pretty nicely now with the 1000. :grin: I can see how this can become a habit.

I don't think these were originally all that highly polished, but were rather just a plain smooth casting. I say that based on having had 5 or 6 of them. The inside certainly was left as cast. Probably the most that would have been given a cursory polishing would be the sides of the base and the top of the handle.

I don't think these were originally all that highly polished, but were rather just a plain smooth casting. I say that based on having had 5 or 6 of them. The inside certainly was left as cast. Probably the most that would have been given a cursory polishing would be the sides of the base and the top of the handle.
I can see what you mean and I would agree. The rough casting on the inside looks consistent all the way up to the rim. It doesn't have a water line that would have been caused by erosion. I got the inside pretty shiny but the polished parts are going to need more work. Now I want to try my Wagner lid.

I think with enough elbow grease most anything can be removed. I have read a lot of Bonnie's post where by she soaks her pieces in hot water and Dawn soap to help assist removal of crud and carbon. That procedure and again elbow grease should do the trick.

Back