Griswold Waffle

MDFraley

Bought an older Griswold waffle iron a few weeks back and has been in the lye bath for that period. Got it out yesterday and found that it has a couple ghost images on it. Nothing special but was wondering if some of the more versed seniors can shed a little light on it? Paddles are 976 & 977. Has an acorn type hinge which may tie down the date other than what it has stamped on it. Base is a low base #884.
Also curious as to why the 976 paddle has the script lettering for the No. 8 and also the ghost 976?
Couldn't make out the date on the ghost pat. date either. Maybe once I run it thru the e-tank it will be more clear. Fairly good shape for $38.
http://imgur.com/a/o2q1e

MD, I think you discovered a set from the middle of an experiment. I think the 976 and 977 numbers were eventually used an aluminum paddles, the base number does not compute as a match and the ghost situation/ double patent is not a good fit for Griswold. That acorn hinge was short lived before the ball and my understanding is that Griswold was playing with a company doing aluminum castings in the early 1900’s. ????????????????????????????

Hilditch

No correlation to aluminum. All three numbers are listed in the Griswold iron p/n section of the BB, and describe what is shown here. Pattern alterations were common in those early days as makers obtained patents and were anxious to have them known. A later 975 is a very common Griswold low base, and fits the sequence of the paddle p/ns here and several other Griswold WI parts nicely.

I knew the part numbers were good according to the BB but wasn't sure about the dates because of the ghost markings plus the "artistic" mix of lettering.
So...With that being said is it correct to assume the original pattern may have been in the "artistic" range of around 1906 and the newer pattern was in the date range as marked on the paddles?
I do have a high base (985) with side handle that I may match up with the paddles once cleaned. The 884 base sets nicely but as Doug pointed out it is not the correct number according to the paddle numbers.
Thanks guys for the input.

So...With that being said is it correct to assume the original pattern may have been in the "artistic" range of around 1906 and the newer pattern was in the date range as marked on the paddles?

I could be confused, but I'd say vice versa.

Hilditch

The BB, not gospel by any means, places the acorn hinge irons 1910-1920. RB also places #10 popover pans with the "artistic" lettering ca. 1920. The ghost appears to just be Pat App'd For, which would make more sense than a date different from the two inscribed. I wasn't saying the 884 is the wrong base, just that 976 and 977 fall in line with many other Griswold iron waffle iron parts.

Understand about the BB and its contents and by no means disagreeing with anything you have given me. I know your data base regarding CI is much more extensive than I will ever have. The BB is a good starting point for anyone collecting CI pieces.
I have been referring basically to the dating of the acorn hinge. On P89 of the BB it shows the patent drawing for a acorn hinge for waffle irons dated May 21st 1901 and since the two paddles I have are dated 1901 I was trying to estimate its date based on the patent drawing. I know the acorn hinge was used well into the 20's based on other pic's shown in the BB.
Just trying to help others estimate their pieces based on certain design features according to dates Griswold has published.
Again...Thank you for the knowledge of this wonderful hobby.

Some #8 waffle iron paddles were p/ns 885/886, which gives an idea of where the 884 p/n comes from, although it is more commonly seen with Griswold-made Andresen WIs. There is some thinking that the 975 base (for the 885/886 pans), by some pattern alteration artifacts observed around the socket, was originally an 884.

That is a nice waffle iron. It seems to me that this one was probably one of the earliest acorn hinge irons produced and the reason I think so is because it only says Griswold on one side. Every waffle iron I have says Griswold on both sides except for my Button hinge. When I read this earlier at work, without being able to see the pictures, I thought I had a ball hinge with the 976 & 977 paddles and I just checked and Jeffrey posted a finger hinge with the same numbers so I don't think the paddle numbers help. It seems to me that Doug is right in saying this was a rush job to show off the new hinge.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

It might be my imagination but I would also add that the older iron seems different somehow. When it's clean and bare it seems blacker to me than the newer pieces. I wonder if you hold it next to one of your newer pieces if you feel the same way?

That is a nice waffle iron. It seems to me that this one was probably one of the earliest acorn hinge irons produced and the reason I think so is because it only says Griswold on one side. Every waffle iron I have says Griswold on both sides except for my Button hinge. When I read this earlier at work, without being able to see the pictures, I thought I had a ball hinge with the 976 & 977 paddles and I just checked and Jeffrey posted a finger hinge with the same numbers so I don't think the paddle numbers help. It seems to me that Doug is right in saying this was a rush job to show off the new hinge.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

It might be my imagination but I would also add that the older iron seems different somehow. When it's clean and bare it seems blacker to me than the newer pieces. I wonder if you hold it next to one of your newer pieces if you feel the same way?

As always ... Thanks for your input. You are correct about the older pieces being darker than the newer ones. First time I noticed it I thought I had seasoned one set correctly and one set incorrectly. Never gave it much thought until just now.
Need to make new handles for the one I have posted. They are the short ones (3") which I think look dainty but I want to keep as original as possible. May add to Jeffrey's WI's he started when I get it all finished.

Back