Unknown skillet lid?

Robert_H

Hello,

i bought this lid the other day and I'm not quite sure who made it. Does any buddy have any idea? Also I am new to this site so i hope i did this right.

Robert

Attachments

• SAM_5582.jpg
    SAM_5582.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 74
  • SAM_5583.jpg
    SAM_5583.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 80
  • SAM_5584.jpg
    SAM_5584.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 83
I thought the top of it looked wrong but the basting rings are the same. What do you think it is Doug? I think I see some ghost writing in between the rings.

hi everyone,

just want to say thanks for the inputs everyone. At first i thought it was a IM too but now i have no idea.

Don't give up hope just yet Robert. There are lots of us here and the answer could come. I know I've seen that handle with the parting line in the center before, I just can't place it. If I remember, I'll let you know.

Scott

The technique of forming a loop handle from two tightly touching "prongs" was not exclusive to a single manufacturer.

It looks to me like it was recast from two different Griswold lids. The inside looks like a Iron Mountain and the outside looks like they just filled in the rest of the markings and left the Self Basting. I bet it is smaller than a Griswold lid.

It looks to me like it was recast from two different Griswold lids. The inside looks like a Iron Mountain and the outside looks like they just filled in the rest of the markings and left the Self Basting. I bet it is smaller than a Griswold lid.

So if this is a recast of two griswold lids what does something like this usually go for?

Robert, I was just taking a guess at what it is, I am not sure. If it is a recast all I can tell you is it is worth less than the real thing.

Sometimes things aren't as cut and dried as we would like to think. Get out your red book and look at the Puritan and Merit lids on pgs. 137 and 148. They have Griswold p/ns, but both are clearly Favorite-- who also made Puritan and Merit for Sears-- in design. This lid has 4 segments per ring like IM, but no IM lids AFAIK had writing tops. There are also IM lids with and without the ridge bowing out on the spout cover ears, a feature which was a Griswold patented innovation.

Back