Hairline crack

Just out of curiosity, is anyone out there (carefully) using a skillet with a hairline crack? Part of me is saying "You have plenty of other skillets, let this one go" and the other part is saying "Yeah, but it's such a sweet little skillet"...

Just out of curiosity, is anyone out there (carefully) using a skillet with a hairline crack? Part of me is saying "You have plenty of other skillets, let this one go" and the other part is saying "Yeah, but it's such a sweet little skillet"...

You can still using it as display,no body will know abouth the crack:icon_rofl:

If it is one that you really really like and want & also worth it to you, you can have it welded. I have had 2 skillets that I had repaired. We used nickel rod, and they cane out as good users. One being a Griswold #12, gone to a new home. :icon_thumbsup:

@ Edgar - one of the things I enjoy most about nice cast iron is using it.

@ Jeffrey - thx. If I may ask, do you recall the ballpark cost on repairing cast iron? I was wondering about that, since I found a 2nd series Erie #9 that I discovered (after the lye bath) had a repaired crack. Seems to be working just fine, and is a great user for a couple bucks (although it has been dubbed the Frankenskillet).

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

I have a #6 Wagner with a hairline crack all the way up the side that I've been using for about a year without any issues. I've never seen any excess oil coming out of the crack because I think the seasoning has sealed it up. Still probably wouldn't fry chicken in it, but it's too small for that anyway.

It's my favorite egg pan.

@ Edgar - one of the things I enjoy most about nice cast iron is using it.

@ Jeffrey - thx. If I may ask, do you recall the ballpark cost on repairing cast iron? I was wondering about that, since I found a 2nd series Erie #9 that I discovered (after the lye bath) had a repaired crack. Seems to be working just fine, and is a great user for a couple bucks (although it has been dubbed the Frankenskillet).

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

It was $20.00 each, as I had 2 pieces done. A welder friend did them.:icon_thumbsup:

I have been using my wife's grandmother's cracked Griswold #8 dutch oven for years without any problems. The crack does not seem to be getting any bigger.

I have a #10 Griswold Chuckwagon that has been wleded/repaired. It works just fine, just has almost no value.

Bruce

Use it. Chances are the more you use it the crack will cover over with seasoning. Just be careful if the crack is near the handle. A heavy pan full of hot food could be a bad thing if the crack becomes a break.

Hmmm, have that old cracked ERIE dutch oven. Maybe I should try some fresh bread and see if it survives.

Back