Corrosion vs Price

When it comes to selling a piece, how much does coal sulfur corrosion on the pan's underside affect its selling price? Particularly when it affects visibility of the logo. I'm thinking of two pieces in particular... my Erie skillet, and a slant logo #8 with smoke ring and hold handle that I picked up today.

In both cases, the cooking surfaces are gorgeous, and that corrosion really is just a part of the history of the piece, but how do others view it?

When it comes to selling a piece, how much does coal sulfur corrosion on the pan's underside affect its selling price? Particularly when it affects visibility of the logo. I'm thinking of two pieces in particular... my Erie skillet, and a slant logo #8 with smoke ring and hold handle that I picked up today.

In both cases, the cooking surfaces are gorgeous, and that corrosion really is just a part of the history of the piece, but how do others view it?

It is like anything else,if looks pretty has more value than ugly things.:icon_rofl:

It is like anything else,if looks pretty has more value than ugly things.:icon_rofl:
Any idea how much a #8 Griz skillet will bring as scrap metal? LOL!

Or, perhaps I've found my next sacrificial anode.

Seriously... it has a fine cooking surface. It will be used.

I have a #9 Wagner shallow skillet that looks absolutely terrible on the bottom from sulfur pitting. It's so bad that you almost have to imagine the word "Wagner" and the number "9" is only slightly better. Somehow that doesn't bother me because I have yet to figure out how to cook on it and look at the bottom at the same time. It is one of my favorite users and cooks like a dream.

I have a #9 Wagner shallow skillet that looks absolutely terrible on the bottom from sulfur pitting. It's so bad that you almost have to imagine the word "Wagner" and the number "9" is only slightly better. Somehow that doesn't bother me because I have yet to figure out how to cook on it and look at the bottom at the same time. It is one of my favorite users and cooks like a dream.
:icon_rofl:

Hahaha! Good point, Kevin!

I've seen lots of pictures of collectors who hang their nicest fry pans on a wall, with the logo showing; these are mostly perfect. A "user" would not matter however; I'd rather have a pitted bottom than a spinner... as a user.
Cheers.

I've seen lots of pictures of collectors who hang their nicest fry pans on a wall, with the logo showing; these are mostly perfect. A "user" would not matter however; I'd rather have a pitted bottom than a spinner... as a user.
Cheers.
True that it may not affects a pan's worth, but apparently it does affect its value.

I was surprised to see that someone paid $21.50 for this POS, not including shipping. Maybe I will start selling my stack of coal pitted, spinners. :chuckle:

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14620
Bidding wars. Some people just hate to loose. That one has major pitting on the cooking surface, too!

I wonder what my almost perfect #9 Victor would bring there? (by the way, I just noticed that it has several ghost marks! The morning sunlight was just right to reveal them!)

Did you use the "ebay search" link to see what others have sold for?

It looks like the nicest one sold for $160.
Mine was part of a 4 pan deal that included those two griddles and a FPW #8 for $44! I think I should change the title of this thread to Corruption & Price:chuckle:

How much time did you spend looking for that deal. How much gas and wear and tear on your car. How much time cleaning? How much for ebay fees and cleaning and seasoning? There is a lot that factors into the price of a quality skillet and I am not hating on any American that can make a buck in this economy. I think it is capitalism at its finest. Some people just don't have the time to search for that perfect skillet.

How much time did you spend looking for that deal. How much gas and wear and tear on your car. How much time cleaning? How much for ebay fees and cleaning and seasoning? There is a lot that factors into the price of a quality skillet and I am not hating on any American that can make a buck in this economy. I think it is capitalism at its finest. Some people just don't have the time to search for that perfect skillet.
I hope you know that I was just kidding by that. But that did come the day after I drove a couple hundred miles for nothing, and was one of the pans in the 500F oven overnight.

Sounds like I probably overpaid, at $28. I'll post a picture when it comes out of the tank.

A Slant Gris at that price, for a user, isn't bad. I don't know that you will profit on resale. I have bought a few to resell, after restoring they are in my user pile. A couple I have sold and got most of my money back. Other times I have scored on resell so it all evens out in the end.

I bought a #11 Slant for $40. Figured it was a huge score. After restoring I found the pits and slight wobble. Cooking surface is great, and that's the part I've used ever since.

A Slant Gris at that price, for a user, isn't bad. I don't know that you will profit on resale. I have bought a few to resell, after restoring they are in my user pile. A couple I have sold and got most of my money back. Other times I have scored on resell so it all evens out in the end.

I bought a #11 Slant for $40. Figured it was a huge score. After restoring I found the pits and slight wobble. Cooking surface is great, and that's the part I've used ever since.
Absolutely... the cooking surface is sweet, and to someone simply looking for a vintage pan to cook with, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is more that I get so excited with the find that I'm not critical enough. That is going to cost me money if I can't get it under control. I have not yet started to sell, but at some point I am going to have to move some of them.

Back