BSR find

W. Hilditch

I found a corn stick in a cupboard today that I forgot having at least 10 years ago. This was an inherited piece that I had never used. It probably came with my former wife after her mother died in the late 70's. It had been seasoned and lightly used, but has been dormant for at least the last 40 years.

Thanks to my previous homework on this site I knew immediately it was BSR. But, being completely unmarked has left me wondering if this is Red Mountain or Century. There is not a hint of a ghost mark with any light. As it is 13" long I know that it is a short and the grind marks (machining) only on one long edge say it was poured on edge.

There is a high probability this was purchased in the 50's. Is there a probability that this is Red Mountain?

Thanks Doug,

Hilditch

Maybe this will help. The bottom part of the mold definitely did not have smooth even arch contours. Appeared hand carved but does sit flat.

Hilditch

Not knowing BSR to have made unmarked-- unnumbered, that is-- versions of this pan, my guess has always been they were someone's copies using the BSR pan as a pattern. Side gated pieces are still cast in a horizontal orientation, the gates were just on one side in this case.

I accept that this a copy, probably from the '50's. I have pretty much exhausted photo comparisons of real ones and there are variances in the real ones that this seems to mimic so this one is a pretty good copy.

I'm left wondering if there is a weight difference. This one is 12 13/16" long and 5 9/16" wide. It weighs 3 lbs. 4.2 oz. If you have a Red Mountain 7 stick handy, I'd appreciate knowing the weight.

Thanks,
Hilditch

I accept that this a copy, probably from the '50's. I have pretty much exhausted photo comparisons of real ones and there are variances in the real ones that this seems to mimic so this one is a pretty good copy.

I'm left wondering if there is a weight difference. This one is 12 13/16" long and 5 9/16" wide. It weighs 3 lbs. 4.2 oz. If you have a Red Mountain 7 stick handy, I'd appreciate knowing the weight.

Thanks,
Hilditch
I have2 red mountain one has very big number7 and the other has small 7 both of them measure 5 1/2 on one side and the other side is 5 9/16 and the oldest is 12 3/4 long and the other is 12 13/16 long if I put one on top the other I can see the difference,yours may be bsr or a very good copy,when some body uses a skillet or any thing as a pattern the one comes out of the mold,is smaller than the pattern.

Last edited:
Hi,

I think I have the same pan. Completely unmarked- No numerals. Same dimensions as what you have and weight is 3lbs 10.1oz.

Image Image

Rob

Rob, beware. Like yours, mine looked very clean and lightly seasoned. I found out tonight with it's first use that it was NOT seasoned. It had a great coating that protected the CI from rust etc. but the batter I used welded itself to the CI and my waffle brush got a real work out, followed by flash rust.

As I write it is in the oven smoking off lard. The next try will be more better.

Hilditch

Cool Bonnie. Maybe it is the one Doug can't find. If you'd post the dimensions and weight I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Hilditch

It weighs 3lb 2.7oz. It was easy finding the scale now I just have to try to remember where I left my tape measure.
Found it. It's 5 1/2 by 12 11/12.

Cool. I'm thinking your 7 SC is a Century (the C), while the 7 S was the Red M.

Mine is smelling more and more like an unmarked BSR. Very similar to the marked BSR's.

Hilditch

A new BSR marked corn stick pan arrived today for comparison to the unmarked one I had.

I am swagging the 7A preceded the 7S (short) and the 7L (long) in the Red Mountain line.

The kernel patterns are identical in both, including flaws. Machining and finish on both pieces are good but a bit better on the marked one. There the similarity stops. The unmarked piece is longer (1/4”), wider (3/16”), taller (1/8” added to the top surface) and heavier (7 1/2 oz.) than the marked piece. Should the unmarked piece be smaller than the marked piece if a copy/fake? It is not. The marked piece has a slightly finer grain iron, but both are finer than todays Lodge.

I must have had a copy, albeit a good one. Now I have way too many corn stick pans.

Hilditch

According to an old BSR RM catalog:

7-Tea Size, 4" x 8"
5-S, 5-1/2 x 9-1/8
7-S, 5-1/2 x 12-3/4
7-L, 6-5/8 x 15

Back