Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Flea Market Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougH View Post
Oh, that's fun. I can take a few better pictures of it this evening. Halloween is a really big thing on our street (literally a couple thousand people will be on our city block that evening), so we picked it up as a cheap decoration for the porch. But it's fun to have an idea of it's history.
For the life of me, I can't seem to remember to take pictures of this little guy. Every morning when I check the forums, I remind myself to take some pictures when I get home...and then never think about it again until the next morning. One of these days, I'll actually get it done...hopefully...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 AM

OK, admitting to my poor memory seems to have helped me remember Here are a couple pics of the little kettle.

http://imgur.com/a/wsV2C

Also, it is quite heavy for it's size...it's about as heavy as kettles I have that are twice as big.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
100% This. It has taken me awhile to learn this, but I'm getting there after having been burned by over paying and then finding it later somewhere else for the price I would have been happy with. Patience.
We showed some patience yesterday. We put in 11 hours and 210 miles of cast iron hunting. Flea markets, antique malls and antique stores. We passed on a few pieces I would like to have. Some were just crazy prices and some were just not as good of a deal as I wanted. The #4 fully marked Griswold for $350, crazy. We also found a #8 "Wagner" with gate (sprue?) mark for $45. If it would have been anything other than a #8, I would have got it. Still questioning that, but have too many #8 skillets. Also passed on a Favorite Piqua Miami and a Wapak Z. They just wanted too much. Then I went and messed it all up by paying $15 for a #3 Wagner Ware. Should have just waited, but that was the 8th one I had saw at the that price in a day. Oh well, it is in great shape.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Site Admin

A "Wagner" skillet with a bottom gate is not a genuine Wagner. $15 for a #3 WWSO, if in perfect condition, isn't bad considering no shipping cost.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
OK, admitting to my poor memory seems to have helped me remember Here are a couple pics of the little kettle.

http://imgur.com/a/wsV2C
Hmmm.. I'm starting to re-think my glue-pot guess. All of the glue pots I've seen have flat bottoms.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post
A "Wagner" skillet with a bottom gate is not a genuine Wagner. $15 for a #3 WWSO, if in perfect condition, isn't bad considering no shipping cost.
Thanks for the info Doug D. I'm glad I didn't get the Wagner and now can stop trying to justify the hour and fifteen minute drive to go back and get it. The WWSO can out of the e-tank yesterday. It looks great.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn R View Post
Thanks for the info Doug D. I'm glad I didn't get the Wagner and now can stop trying to justify the hour and fifteen minute drive to go back and get it. The WWSO can out of the e-tank yesterday. It looks great.
See, this is where we differ, I would love to find a re-cast Wagner, but the $45 would have sent me packing too... If I can find a fun weird piece, fake or not for cheap, I'll grab it, but $45. Nope.